How do the Cambium sectors compare to Ubiquiti AC sectors?

What experience do folks have with the Cambium branded sectors with being co-located on a tower with other Cambium or other vendor equipment?

The standard Ubiquiti sectors need RF Armor, the AC sectors seem to be OK by themselves.   How do the Cambium sectors rank?

We've been very happy with all of the Cambium antennas. They're all designed for use for back to back frequency reuse, so they have excellent front to back ratios. You don't have to use any shields on them. They have a pretty good null fill so they work well up close or far out from the tower. The UBNT AC antennas provide slightly better gain, but the coverage is very pan-cake-like. The shielding and design quality on the UBNT AC sectors is very good and no RF armor is needed. The UBNT AC sectors have a high front to back ratio so back to back frequency reuse is possible. Most of the time with the Cambium antennas, if I need to provide 90deg coverage, I'll use their 60deg antenna... and so on... with the UBNT AC antennas, the beam pattern is so tight that you may have issues trying to use a 45deg to cover a 60deg area.

I'd say for most instances I'd use the Cambium antennas. If you have a tower that's pretty low to the ground/service area, and you want to provide the most gain to that specific area, then the UBNT 45deg AC antenna will work well.

2 Likes

Is there an easy way to attach a Cabium AP to a Ubiquti sector without exposing the radio connectors to the elements?

Yes, actually there is... You'll want to purchase an ePMP 1000, Connectorized Radio Mounting Bracket Cambium PN #: N000900L006A

4 Likes

>Is there an easy way to attach a Cabium AP to a Ubiquti sector without exposing the radio connectors to the elements?

RF Eelements EZ Bracket works great for mounting ePMP to Ubiquiti Antennas.  I don't have any AC sectors so I can not say for sure that you can get the over on afterwards but I don't see any reason it would be any different than using the metal adapters cambium sells.

http://www.rfelements.com/en/products/brackets/easybracket-for-epmp/

Actually, after looking at the pics of the radio mounted with the metal brackets I think the RF Elements brackets are way better for this since they are actually designed for mounting ePMP radios to Ubiquiti antennas while the metal brackets do not appear to be made for that purpose.

@brubble1 wrote:

>Is there an easy way to attach a Cabium AP to a Ubiquti sector without exposing the radio connectors to the elements?

RF Eelements EZ Bracket works great for mounting ePMP to Ubiquiti Antennas.  I don't have any AC sectors so I can not say for sure that you can get the over on afterwards but I don't see any reason it would be any different than using the metal adapters cambium sells.

http://www.rfelements.com/en/products/brackets/easybracket-for-epmp/

Actually, after looking at the pics of the radio mounted with the metal brackets I think the RF Elements brackets are way better for this since they are actually designed for mounting ePMP radios to Ubiquiti antennas while the metal brackets do not appear to be made for that purpose.

Does the shroud from the airMax antenna still work to cover the connectors though?

" I don't have any AC sectors so I can not say for sure that you can get the over on afterwards but I don't see any reason it would be any different than using the metal adapters cambium sells."

I have  here  some ubiquiti Basestation AM-M521 AC - 5ghz - 21dbi - 60º and  AirMax Basestation AM-5G17 - 90º - 17dbi - 5ghz in both cases work well.

1 Like