ePMP 4.4 Beta release available in beta section

Much awaited release with the following updates:

- Variious disconnects resolved when running backward compatibility mode or 11n to 11n in 4.X

- Poor tput in UL with NAT

- Numerous other bug fixes 

Features:

MIR for e3K

QOS phase 1 for e3K

DFS for e3K SMs

QOS for 550

Try config for ePMP

4 Likes

Great release!
From our tests it’s far better than 4.3.2.1, no disconnections at all and great performance.

Good job, keep working on it!

3 Likes

Any update to 80MHz performance?

Still no DFS for 300C units it appears.  Any timeline on that?

Thanks,

Hi Jacob,

If you need F300C as an SM it will connect to the ePMP3000 on DFS channel in case you have 4.4 on F300C.

For the AP it is pending FCC grant later this year.

Dmitry

DFS channels aren't listed in the scan list on the 300CSM with the new beta.  I'll try it out anyway and report success or failure.

Confirmed - the Force 300CSM won't connect on DFS channels.  The DFS channels aren't listed in the scan list either, so I suspect it's just the force 300 integrated units that were certified. 

Hi Jacob,

Sorry for the confusion. We will get it fixed in next release.

Dmitry

I have a test AP on a tower 975' from my house. Tower is fed by fiber. Have been running 4.3.2.1 for almost 32 days. My home office uses this AP every day of the week.Great results and constant download speeds from all major speed test sites of over 100Mbps down (usually around 115Mbps) in a 20Mhz channel. MCS 9 at 99+% up and down. 

Installed 4.4-RC23 on AP and SM this evening. Did NOT turn on MIR in AP or SM. TCP throughput is pretty bad and all over the place for speed tests (used 8 speed test sites tonight). Still have MCS 9 at 99+% up and down, and Wireless Link Test constantly registers 115+Mbps down / 35Mbps up. The most I have seen on any speed test site after upgrade is 110Mbps down. Seeing anything at 100Mbps or abover was extremely rare tonight. The worst I have seen is 14.7Mbps down. That same speed test site had a high of only 57Mbps down during many many speed tests at that site tonight. This site has always registered much much higher before 4.4-RC23 was installed.

On many of these sites, speeds would intially shoot up, then speeds would seesaw up and down until they settled for a final speed. Sometimes this final speed was 20Mbps, other times it was 50Mbps, 80Mbps, etc. It is like the speeds are being throttled back and forth, as if some type of QoS is being ran in the background (even though MIR was NOT turned on). 

At this time we will not install this on our customer AP and SM's nor our PTP550 links. But...this is why there is Beta software. 

I will post this in the beta forum as well. 

It might be worth running the spectrum analyzer just to make sure nothing changed on that front.  Even though I'm frustrated about the lack of DFS on 300C units, things seem to be performing as they were before here on production firmware.

Was not interference. I was holding MCS 9 at 99.7% down and 99.9% up.

After writing my last post, I downgraded back to 4.3.2.1 on the SM only. All speed tests were back to 100+Mbps down (even the one that had a low of 14.7Mbps and high of 57Mbps was at 80+Mbps down).

I upgraded back to 4.4-RC23 and throughput issues came back.

In all fairness, this SM feeds a Tik Router and then into a Netonix switch (both are 1Gb ports) that feeds my entire home. Maybe the new software has changed something with the ethernet driver in the SM and my network does not like it..or the SM does not like my network..or both. I will connect pc directly to SM tomorrow and see how that does.

1 Like

Version 4.4-RC23 solve the problem that drop all SMs from the AP?
(in AP and SM 802.11n)

1 Like

Mirko, yes for me it solved this issue

2 Likes

Really giuseppe4 ?
Fantastic !!

OT: giuseppe4, do you work for some provider in Italy?

1 Like

Yes Mirko, it works great for us and solved many issues!

OT: Yes, contact me in a private message if you want!

1 Like

This is one of our APs. We're testing 4.4-RC23.

As you can see there is one Force 180 and nine Force 300-16.

With 4.3.2.1 we had disconnections about every 30 minutes on all users, it was very unstable and jitter was high.

With 4.4-RC23 is super stable, no disconnections at all in about 18 hours and a more stable ping.

We're trying 4.4-RC23 also on 802.11n pure environment to prepare APs for 300-16 compatibility, and we saw the same behavior: no disconnections where we had multiple complete drops of all users with 4.3.2.1.

Our feedback is positive: finally we have more stability on e3k and we can procede in our transition to 3k.

2 Likes

@CWB wrote:

I have a test AP on a tower 975' from my house. Tower is fed by fiber. Have been running 4.3.2.1 for almost 32 days. My home office uses this AP every day of the week.Great results and constant download speeds from all major speed test sites of over 100Mbps down (usually around 115Mbps) in a 20Mhz channel. MCS 9 at 99+% up and down. 

Installed 4.4-RC23 on AP and SM this evening. Did NOT turn on MIR in AP or SM. TCP throughput is pretty bad and all over the place for speed tests (used 8 speed test sites tonight). Still have MCS 9 at 99+% up and down, and Wireless Link Test constantly registers 115+Mbps down / 35Mbps up. The most I have seen on any speed test site after upgrade is 110Mbps down. Seeing anything at 100Mbps or abover was extremely rare tonight. The worst I have seen is 14.7Mbps down. That same speed test site had a high of only 57Mbps down during many many speed tests at that site tonight. This site has always registered much much higher before 4.4-RC23 was installed.

On many of these sites, speeds would intially shoot up, then speeds would seesaw up and down until they settled for a final speed. Sometimes this final speed was 20Mbps, other times it was 50Mbps, 80Mbps, etc. It is like the speeds are being throttled back and forth, as if some type of QoS is being ran in the background (even though MIR was NOT turned on). 

At this time we will not install this on our customer AP and SM's nor our PTP550 links. But...this is why there is Beta software. 

I will post this in the beta forum as well. 

This is interesting behavior indeed. The fact that your MCS is still hovering in the right place and wireless link test is showing good results makes me think this is not interference. Could we request you to run a few more speed tests on 4.3.2.1 and then 4.3RC23 this morning please? If you see still see the difference, could you dump out the tech support files and send it to ePMP-support@cambiumnetworks.com We will take a look to make sure that some inadvertent effect of MIR is not kicking in. I am doubtful though but it is still not the expected behavior. 

3 Likes

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

This is interesting behavior indeed. The fact that your MCS is still hovering in the right place and wireless link test is showing good results makes me think this is not interference. Could we request you to run a few more speed tests on 4.3.2.1 and then 4.3RC23 this morning please? If you see still see the difference, could you dump out the tech support files and send it to ePMP-support@cambiumnetworks.com We will take a look to make sure that some inadvertent effect of MIR is not kicking in. I am doubtful though but it is still not the expected behavior. 

Sakid,

Thanks for your input. Definitely no interference at all. I have been conducting more tests today. Before I post those, I have run into a problem with the AP. I attempted to downgrade it to 4.3.2.1 for more testing. It displayed message to reboot to finish upgrade. I rebooted unit. It said it rebooted, but it had not. I was running ping -t 8.8.8.8 in cmd so I would know when it came back up. It never dropped ping. I attempted to reboot again, same thing. I checked the software upgrade page, and it showed it was still runing 4.4-RC23. Attempted to reload 4.3.2.1 software and got the message "SW UPdate is running!" I then attempted to load 4.4-RC23, same error message.

I then attempted to reboot using CLI (3 times), the AP still kept passing ping to 8.8.8.8.

I am almost afraid to log into tower switch and power cycle port.

Any advice before I possibly brick an AP?

1 Like

Is this release recommended (or not) to try on an all EPMP1000 legacy network?

1 Like

Thank you for this info!