I have 3 or 4 of our 12 1000 APs out there that are pegged at 100% CPU almost all the time. While the AP continues to pass traffic, we loose SNMP polling and logging in via the web interface is incredibly slow. Some are running 3.6.5 and some were just upgraded to 4.5. Problem is no different on either firwmare.
Then we have other 1000 APs that do not ever display this problem yet are configured nearly identical. We do not do QOS in the AP and firewall is off. It is really set up just as a bridge. Our routers and Preseem do all the shaping and NATing. These are running on 40 MHz channels and have an average throughput of around 50 or 60 Mbps when the issue crops up.
What pushes these CPUs to the max? What can I adjust or look for to fix this?
Interestingly, the two worst APs I have are 1000 GPS APs running 4.4.3-DEV for the 5.9 STA. One of those is actually on a 5.9 channel and the other is not. I will move the one that is not to 4.5 and see if that helps the CPU utilization.
is on heavily loaded 1000 AP's (GPS). We have one tower with an omni that was doing this, when the 1000 died we replaced it with a 2000 which didn't stop it from needing more capacity and pegging CPU or anything but it no longer takes spells where you can't log into it and the graphs , while still pegging 100% cpu most of the time, no longer have breaks in them (SNMP doesn't stop responding).
For me when an AP starts doing this, dropping SNMP not just pegging 100% cpu because I have 1000 AP's that will peg 100% CPU laying on the bench with nothing connected, the frame time usage and everything else is high also so I consider it a sign the sector has reached capacity and I probably shouldn't have let it get this bad.
Makes me wonder if your problem radios are due to something on the network between them and whatever is monitoring them, a switch or something dropping packets when the load reaches a certain level. I think we have had one site behave similarly when the backhaul was being saturated.
I'm seeing the same issue with one of our tower sites here. 2 Cambium 5GHz 1000-GPS APs on a tower both at 40MHz with roughly around the same amount of clients. One runs at 100% cpu and the other runs at 40%. GPS sync is not enabled.
Clients behind the 100% cpu AP are all randomly disconnecting from their PPPoE sessions. On the other AP, clients have been connected for days. Disabling cmMaestro did not help nor disabling anything that gets stats via SNMP.