2.4 APs not getting the distance

For some reason we arent getting the distance we should. We lock everything at 15 miles in the APs which are integrated 60s. Anything over 2.5 miles and we are having to put the reflectors on.
Im wondering if we need to make AP downtilt adjustments, we basically don have any tilt and I almost wonder if we arent coming in under the signal.
We also got some wireless beehive AP test adapters to go out to external AP antennas. When we put them in the overall signals dropped by 15-20 percent across the board. I asked CTI (our vendor) they said they didnt know for sure. We had to pull them. I asked if it was possible they had mislabelled some 5.x adapters or something, and they said it wasnt likely because if they were the wrong frequency, they should not have worked at all.

What are we doing wrong?

2.5 miles is about right for bare AP to bare SM. Check out the Beehive stingers.

Not sure the issue with the test adapters except that perhaps you used an HPOL antenna?

The manual said 7 miles without a dish, at least thats what i recall.

we got three of the beehive test adapters with the recomended sectors and provided leads. Theyre being RMAd because they dropped the signals across the board by 15 to 20 percent.

With clear LOS, no Fresnel intrusion, and low noise floor you might see 5 miles but that has not been my experience and I have all of the above.

Good Luck on the 7 miles, we run 2.4 also. You can figure 1/2 what motorola tells you, If you don’t have any noise. The little stingers Jerry was talking about will get you about 5 miles after that you pretty much need a full reflector for a good solid connection

clueless wrote:
Good Luck on the 7 miles, we run 2.4 also. You can figure 1/2 what motorola tells you, If you don't have any noise. The little stingers Jerry was talking about will get you about 5 miles after that you pretty much need a full reflector for a good solid connection

I have a stinger at 8 miles. Low noise environment and on a 50' tower, though.

We generally don't see more than 3 miles bare SM and can use stingers up to about 6 or 7. After that, reflector kits all the way.

so with bare ap and reflectors on the sm, will i get 15 miles?

With Cyclone APs (12dBi) and reflector dishes on SMs (18dBi), we can go up to 20 miles with low noise. As the noise goes up, we move to reflector grids (24dBi) and stay in business.

Because of our noise floor and terrain our bench mark is 10 miles, We have installed up to 13 miles with the 2.4 but there was random lose of signal at night and the customer was not happy. But for us it is solid up to 10 miles.

these beehive test adapters must just be junk. I confirmed with CTI and terrawaves that the provided 13.5 dbi sector was correct and I see signal drop in the test environment. I even used a 20dbi sector figuring that gain would jump the gap and no dice. I did put the test adapter on with just the antenna lead and no antenna, and still made connection int he test envirnment (150 foot with two walls seperation).

Is there such a beast that truly will adapt the integrated APs to connectorized without cracking the case?

Ad far as range goes, I did an install at two miles the other day, 50 foot up the tower, CLEAR LOS, and had tu put on the reflector. I have to be doing something very wrong, or we got gypped on equipment.

I don’t think you can go integrated -> connectorized without opening the case, no.

This is a 2.4 unit you’re having trouble with at 2 miles? What is your noise floor? I’d suspect if you aren’t dealing with interference, it could be a P10 RF sensitivity issue. We had a handful of those in the 2.4 band. You’d get readings in the -80 to -90 range at 2 miles with clear LOS and bare SM. After swapping it out with a functioning unit we went to about -55 to -60.

Sorry to hijack, but

Any recommendations on the reflector grids? I’m looking for budget vs effectiveness.

chrisopq wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but

Any recommendations on the reflector grids? I'm looking for budget vs effectiveness.

I've had good luck with the Advanced Antenna grids.