2.4 connectorized

hello all has any one ever done a 2.4 non conectorized to turn one into a connectorized version?

i am assuming that you just remove the built in antenna and solder in a n plug and away you go.

thoughts?

I’m not an electronics and components expert by far, but some of techs took apart a 5.7 SM module and examined the integrated antenna, etc. From what I gathered, it would be next to impossible to successfully remove the existing antenna and replace it with a connector.

However, there are some out there that have done it. I am not sure if they have modified existing SM’s, or purcahsed componenets and started from scratch. I can’t think of the name of the company off the top of my head, but I’m sure someone will post with it soon.

it’s doable… I think you will void the FCC certification of the unit, since it’s certified only with the built-in antenna.

Removing the antenna is not that hard, but soldering an RF connector on it is a different matter altogether. If you have really good dexterity, you could solder an MMCX connector on it, and buy ready-made pigtails. I’ve done it without removing the shield on the other side :-)…

i would strongly recommend having it done commercially (e.g. at FDDI), since you get a certified unit and warranty.

your mileage may vary, depending on your mad soldering skillz… you might end up with a brick.