2.4GHz 120-degree 3 sector deployment

Hi,

Anyone has experience and results with doing a three (3) sector 120°degree 2.4GHz?  If so, what are some of your experiences to date?   What type of RF environment is it in?  Are you operating in a 'noisy' environment?  Are you using the GPS sync?  What are some of the distances for your SMs?  Did you use LINKPlanner to plan the network before deploying?  If so, were the results close to what LINKPlanner provided?  Are you operating at 40,20,10 or 5MHz channel spacing?  What type of environment (physical) is it deployed in?

I am a little familiar with the ePMP config tools such has Automatic Channel Scanning (ACS) and eDETECT.  Are your channel spacing using channels 1,6 & 11?  Or, did you just allow ACS to do the magic?

Regards.

@Lincs_Chel wrote:

Hi,

Anyone has experience and results with doing a three (3) sector 120°degree 2.4GHz?  If so, what are some of your experiences to date?   What type of RF environment is it in?  Are you operating in a 'noisy' environment?  Are you using the GPS sync?  What are some of the distances for your SMs?  Did you use LINKPlanner to plan the network before deploying?  If so, were the results close to what LINKPlanner provided?  Are you operating at 40,20,10 or 5MHz channel spacing?  What type of environment (physical) is it deployed in?

I am a little familiar with the ePMP config tools such has Automatic Channel Scanning (ACS) and eDETECT.  Are your channel spacing using channels 1,6 & 11?  Or, did you just allow ACS to do the magic?

Regards.

we've used   a mix of deployments,  ABC GPS re-use (3 -120 degree sectors), ABAB (4 sectors per tower). our deployment goal is a no one left behind approach.   

in tough to serve areas we've used ABC re-use from not so far away sites to keep access point count high, and channels consumed low.   generally, we use 10mhz for 2.4 (sometimes 20 if we need more capacity and spectrum allows)  we've deployed in both noisy and quite areas,  the EPMP does very well with noise if you compare it head on with outher WIFI based equipment.  channels 11 8 and 5, customer routers set to 1. remember to keep 5mhz gaurdband between your channels. 

we use ABC when we plan to overlap coverage with other towers that are close together (for us thats less than 1.5 miles) or we will use ABAB for regular sized sites (we generally won't aim the antenna to reach more than 4 to 5 miles on them, or if we have anther site planned/installed in a direction, we tilt the antennas to end just short of the next tower. 

speaking of the cambium 2.4 antenna, if they are deployed as 120 sectors, you've got -6 points on your edges, or 9db gain when your between the sectors. as deployed as 90 degrees, you've got 3db drop or, 12 db gain between sectors.   

ABC setups are great for installing multiple towers in close proximity  simply by rotating your pattern,  

A

B    C

C                     B

A       B              C    A

cambium has a really good write up in detail about these types of deployments in the GPS reuse guide

we select our deployment method base on number of subs needing to be services, amount of APs we plan to put in an area and terrain to deal with, and distance.    the 2.4 epmp for us is used for NLOS and nLOS conditions, we install 5ghz epmp with it for LOS links. 

generally, ABABs end up with more capacity, and with less lose between sectors resulting in some customers with better RSSI downside is  they need spaced further to been with only 2 channels.   ABAB then CDCD can be used to keep self noise down and get the bonus of capacity while keeping tight.   with 2.4, if you go with 4 channels, you'll have room down the road to move a channel if you need to inorder to dodge noise.  

for us, the EPMP has done great dealing with noise.  it handles trees pretty well too.  

we use radio mobile to plan out coverage details for a map so we just need to check google earth and the map overlays for coverage.  anything that looks like a possible fail, we use the link planner to determine if its worth going to check or if its hopeless.   (the link planner does a great job with those forecasts) 

the  ACS is good in a lot of situations, but if your wanting to employ GPS, you won't be able to use ACS aside from helping you select a channel.  ACS will also see a snyc'd AP as noise and try to avoid it. so it won't always be usful in that regard. 

edetect is amazing.   the only thing it won't do is identify overlapping channels, and different channel sized interferer. its great fr catching self interfering APs, SMs and competitor hardware that's on the same width and channel. 

1 Like

Hi Crhis;

Why move between Radio Mobile and LinkPlanner to determine coverage and how will the client perform?  Within LinkPlanner it appears that it gives you all of that information once you fill it in correctly and use the features.  It's integration with Google Earth and producing the maps and path profile is great.  Along with the reports.

I guess Radio Mobile gives like a second opinion or vice-versa.  But I have found LinkPlanner is an invaluable tool / asset in planning a Cambium network.  Radio Mobile would seem to be more of a vendor agnostic tool?   A refresher review and closer look at Radio Mobile would probably now be on my todo list.  Though, I recalled attempting to use it a couple times before and it wasn't so intuitive.  That is, quickly getting up to speed on it.

Currently using LinkPlanner to evaluate our roll-out of the ePMP 2.4 sector.  The whatifs that can be done so quickly is great.  So far we've found that most links are almost on point to what LinkPlanner has shown us.  Hopefully this same experience from the ePMP 5Ghz line, translates and transfers to the ePMP 2.4GHz platform (and experience).

My only difficulty is that I'm not quite sure about the coverage beyond the 90degrees and how a client would potentially be impacted by being on the border (or outside the RF coverage area shown by LinkPlanner).  Also, determining the azimuth for the sectors when the tower climber has to install it.  Instructing the tower climber to make sure the sector antenna is pointing in a particular direction by using the LinkPLanner azimuth bearing works well. 

As I was really considering starting out with a three (3) sector 2.4GHz tower.  Since this will not be our primary ePMP platform.  It is meant to compliment the ePMP 5Ghz and PMP100 900Mhz.  More so, as an upgrade path to the PMP100 900Mhz.  Them PMP450i 900Mhz is a little too pricey for now.  So with LinkPlanner planning the 2.4Ghz deployment is great.  One exception, the 120degree antenna and/or not being able to select like another non Cambium 2.4Ghz sector antenna.

Regards.