2.4GHz Channel Width

Hi

Im just wondering why there is currently only support for20MHz channels on the 2.4GHz spectrum?

"We do not support 40 MHz and 80 MHz in 2.4 GHz."

Is there any facility or likely hood of 40MHz being added in the future?

Thanks

and also on that ^^ your brochure says "Max Throughput +1.167 Gpb". I do understand that is a Max but you cant even get close to that if you only have a 20MHz channel width in the 2.4GHz band

so doesnt that mean on a 2x2 radio it has to support AC speeds of 867Mbps and N speeds of 300Mbps. but to achieve 300Mpbs on N you require the channel width to be 40MHz

Pretty much all the 802.11ac manufacturers I've seen market their aggragate (2.4ghz + 5ghz) OTA data rates, and 300mbps + 867mbps = 1.167gbps... BUT as you noticed, the 2.4GHz radio doesn't support 40MHz channel widths. My guess is maybe there's a certification issue? Maybe someone from Cambium can comment on this?

nothing from the Cambium Staff?

@jasonrowe wrote:

Hi

Im just wondering why there is currently only support for20MHz channels on the 2.4GHz spectrum?

"We do not support 40 MHz and 80 MHz in 2.4 GHz."

Is there any facility or likely hood of 40MHz being added in the future?

Thanks

We can support 40MHz  on 2.4GHz (not enough channels for 80MHz); the reason we did not is, it is practically of very little use since the AP is required to scan the environment for any other AP on the extension channel and go to 40 only if it does not find anyone else there. While in a home there is a possibility that there may not be an AP around, in most enterprise deployments an AP configured for 40MHz on 2.4 would promptly see a neighbor there and fall back to 20MHz anyway.

good catch on the brochure/data-sheet note there: we should fix that to say 1.01Gbps (867+150), or allow support for 40MHz even if it works only in pristine environments. we'll do one or the other soon.

But why not make it a user choice? if the hardware and software supports it, like you say, let the user choose.

@jasonrowe wrote:

But why not make it a user choice? if the hardware and software supports it, like you say, let the user choose.

good point. We need a little bit of software work for it though on the driver side, its not just the configuration CLI/GUI. We'll enable this in an upcoming release (likely one at the end of June)

Thanks

In some enviroments the faster speeds on the 2.4GHz band might be an advantage, and like you said in a home enviroment it would be advantagous

@firefly wrote:

@jasonrowe wrote:

good point. We need a little bit of software work for it though on the driver side, its not just the configuration CLI/GUI. We'll enable this in an upcoming release (likely one at the end of June)

Awesome. Not all commercial environments are in areas where there are multiple access points in use. Haveing 40MHz as an option for these sites will be good.

5 years later… any chance 40MHz channel width will be supported?

Last I checked it was for E series devices.

I have an E600 I am testing with. Can’t figure out how to enable 40MHz.

I could have sworn I saw 40MHz support for E series at some point, but I just logged into a radio and it’s not there. I did check an XV series radio and it has options for 20/40MHz… so I’m not sure why they would enable one and not the other.

Still not seeing anything on the 2.4GHz radio

it was a bit misleading advertising the product as having 300Mbps speed on the 2.4GHz spectrum and not actually delivering it.

So again… I’m 99% certain that this was enabled at some point… I’ve seen/used it on E series… there must have been a regression on the firmware where they removed it.

EARTH CALLING WHOMEVER AT CAMBIUM IS SUPPOSED TO BE MONITORING THE ENTERPRISE WIFI FORUM!

Have you tried setting in via cnMaestro? It appears to be an option there:

Can you please let us what is the firmware version running on the AP ?

Jasonrowe,

40MHz configuration for 2.4GHz radio is available in the AP’s GUI/CLI and also from cnMaestro.
Can you please let us know what is the firmware version that you are using on the AP ?

Also AP configured for 40MHz on 2.4GHz find any neighbor AP then it will fall back to 20MHz.

Why do I need to do it from cnmaestro? It should be available locally on the AP.

I’m on the recommend firmware.

I was testing with 4.2.1-r12 as well as 3.11.4.1-r3. As of now I have taken the AP out of service because I could not get acceptable 2.4GHz performance from it.