2.4Ghz SM's Not Connecting to cnMaestro After Upgrade From 3.5.6 to 4.4.1

We updated the AP's and SM's on 2 of our towers that have 2.4Ghz equipment  from 3.5.6 to 4.4.1. Now I have several SM's that will not connect to cnMaestro. 

SM's display on their GUI "Enabled - The Registered AP is Onboarded". The status keeps shifting from "Connecting" to "Connecting in 1 Minute". 

I have re-enterd the cnMaestro credentials in the SM's GUI's, and even rebooted SM's. No go. They still will not connect to cnMaestro. 

Keep seeing this in the logs over and over...DEVICE-AGENT[3863]: [src/epmp.c:182 json_config_show] request failed, ret = 2 (Param not found). I see this in other SM's logs repeatedly that do connect fine to cnMaestro. 

Hi,

Could you please send Tech Support Dump to me at fedor.trutsko(at)cambiumnetworks(dot)com from SM experiencing the issue?

Thanky you.

@Fedor wrote:

Hi,

Could you please send Tech Support Dump to me at fedor.trutsko(at)cambiumnetworks(dot)com from SM experiencing the issue?

Thanky you.

Been very busy, but will do. I have 4.4.1 3000's and 300 SM's falling out of cnMaestro now too. Never had any problem with my 2.4Ghz equipment reporting as down in cnMaestro before upgrading to 4.4.1.

I have had issues with our on-prem cnmaestro with sm's in nat mode. clear the prefered dns server under the ethernet interface, this fixes that issue.

the AP requires the DNS/cnMaestro server to be on the data network. if your are using vlans, make sure the AP is only a member of your management network and enter your DNS addresses in the General Networking, Een if you are using DHCP for your AP addressing, setting the DNS under static then switching to DHCP allows the AP to resolve the DNS if the DHCP doesnt give the DNS correctly.

If using the cloud cnmaestro, make sure you can ping out to it and that your AP has a public IP with no firewall blocking two way communications.

@Douglas Generous wrote:

If using the cloud cnmaestro, make sure you can ping out to it and that your AP has a public IP with no firewall blocking two way communications.

Using cloud. Nothing has changed with these SM's for 2 years except moving to 4.4.1 firmware. They -always- registered and communicated with cnMaestro with absolutely no issues until moving to 4.4.1. 4.4.2 fixed this issue for all but a few SM's. They still will not connect to cnM not matter what we do. These SM's can ping any address you want them too, just will not register with cnMaestro. 

SM's are in bridge mode with mgt and data VLANs. Pulling mgt address via DHCP.  We have changed that to static, changed DNS, turned off mgt and data VLANs and let SMs pull from switch native VLAN. Nothing has worked. What I do know is -ALL-  of these SM's communicated perfectly with cnMaestro for a long time, some up to 2 years with no issues until 4.4.1 was installed. 

Well.....about an hour after writing my last post, I realized I had not re-tried the network config steps I listed above after upgrading to 4.4.2. I found an SM with no traffic, and tried these network config procedures again. After each change, I watched for 5 minutes or so, and when it would not connect to cnM, I tried another change. Finally, after no changes, I put the network settings back to their original settings. 

I just looked at cnM and the SM I went through these steps is now connected and reporting to cnM. It had not connected in over a month (since upgrading from 3.5.6 to 4.4.1). Something 4.4.1 glitched and would not release, was now nudged out with 4.4.2 when cycling through these network changes, and back to the original config. I will have to try this on the other handful of 2.4Ghz SMs that will not connect to cnM after moving from 3.5.6 to 4.4.x. 

Hopefully this may help anyone else experiencing this issue.  Thanks for replying to this post Douglas. I had moved on to other things and had not even thought to re-try these after upgrading to 4.4.2. I just figured it would get fixed with another upgrade. 

@CWB wrote:

Well.....about an hour after writing my last post, I realized I had not re-tried the network config steps I listed above after upgrading to 4.4.2. I found an SM with no traffic, and tried these network config procedures again. After each change, I watched for 5 minutes or so, and when it would not connect to cnM, I tried another change. Finally, after no changes, I put the network settings back to their original settings. 

I just looked at cnM and the SM I went through these steps is now connected and reporting to cnM. It had not connected in over a month (since upgrading from 3.5.6 to 4.4.1). Something 4.4.1 glitched and would not release, was now nudged out with 4.4.2 when cycling through these network changes, and back to the original config. I will have to try this on the other handful of 2.4Ghz SMs that will not connect to cnM after moving from 3.5.6 to 4.4.x. 

Hopefully this may help anyone else experiencing this issue.  Thanks for replying to this post Douglas. I had moved on to other things and had not even thought to re-try these after upgrading to 4.4.2. I just figured it would get fixed with another upgrade. 

There's a known issue on 4.4.1 where some SM's get stuck and can't talk to cnMaestro, and need a reboot to connect again. This issue has mostly been resolved in 4.4.2, but I'm still experiencing some nagging cnMaestro issues on a very small number of radios.

Problem is back with 4.4.3 for my 2.4Ghz SMs.  I have had units reboot and after reboot, will not reconnect to Maestro. Last week I had a rural area loose power to homes and every customer that lost power now will not reconnect to Maestro since power was restored.

SMs GUI are once again showing the "The Registered AP is Onboarded" and the "Connecting" or "Connecting in x minutes" messages. 

Not having problems with any 5Ghz SMs. 

@CWB wrote:

SMs GUI are once again showing the "The Registered AP is Onboarded" and the "Connecting" or "Connecting in x minutes" messages. 

We've been having this issue with a very small % of 4.4.3 clients. To fix it, we re-enter or manually enter our cnMaestro credentials into the radio, save... and sometimes that fixes it, if not, a reboot will fix it. I've mentioned this to the development team but have not heard any confirmation on a resolution or firmware fix.

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

We've been having this issue with a very small % of 4.4.3 clients. To fix it, we re-enter or manually enter our cnMaestro credentials into the radio, save... and sometimes that fixes it, if not, a reboot will fix it. I've mentioned this to the development team but have not heard any confirmation on a resolution or firmware fix.

It is a fairly small amount that will not reconnect. The approach above fixes it for 4.4.3.. Sometimes we have to reboot more than once after manuallly re-entering credentials. My thing is I do not want to have do this after every power cycle/ power outage..... Or after every new firmware release. 

I had previously said I had no problems with 5ghz. I do have the slave side of a PTP550 link that not only will not re-connect to cnM, but also will not pull time from NTP servers after a software update or power cycle. We have to manually re-enter cnM credential and change NTP servers in GUI. Press save, reboot, and some time later it will re-connect to cnM and pull time from the NTP servers.

It will not self correct withouth manual intervention. We let it run for 32 days this way after upgrading to 4.4.2. It would not connect to cnM or pull time for those 32 days. Manually enter both and back to working. Had to perform same steps after upgrading to 4.4.3. Thought I would throw this in as well in case the Cambium crew are monitoring this thread. I probably need to put this in the PTP forum as well.