3.55-3.70?

Are there any plans to support ePMP gear in the 3.55 to 3.70 frequency range?

A few Cambium engineers have commented on this and I believe they have said that there are no plans for ePMP on 3GHz. If you want that you're going to have to go the PMP450 route.

1 Like

That is correct. There are no plans to release a 3 GHz version on ePMP. We have customers using the 3 GHz PMP 450 who are quite happy so I highly recommend giving it a shot. Here's one: http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-Stories/Ubiquiti-3-65-to-3-6-450-Migration/m-p/43593#U43593

Thanks,
Sriram

1 Like

Thanks to both of you.  Will the 450 line be upgraded to suppor the new SAS rules that have come out on the 3.5-3.6 band?

@RFWaveRider wrote:

Thanks to both of you.  Will the 450 line be upgraded to suppor the new SAS rules that have come out on the 3.5-3.6 band?

Yes, absolutely. 

Perhaps Cambium could consider licensing the DBii technology? DBii basically have cards which are internally 5Ghz Atheros cards, which then 'down-converts' to the 3.x Ghz range.  We've used these cards with excellent results, and they are only about $50 so whatever downconvertor that DBii uses isn't prohibitively expensive.

http://www.dbii.com/f36N-PRO.html

So, from a non-engineer's standpoint (a 'dumb guys perspective') it would seem that Cambium might be able to license something from DBii and use the existing 5Ghz  ePMP units with the addition of this type of downconvertor, and for ~$50 more per unit or so, maybe Cambium could have a 3.x Ghz ePMP?

Do Cambium have a plan to release PMP450i for 3.5GHz band?

@Roman Shishkin wrote:

Do Cambium have a plan to release PMP450i for 3.5GHz band?

I don't think so, not at this time... I think Cambium is waiting for the FCC to define how the CBRS will work... SAS, coordination, etc. Once they know more, I think we'll see a new AP and hopefully backwards compatibility with existing SM's.

1 Like

@ninedd wrote:

Perhaps Cambium could consider licensing the DBii technology?

Yeah.... I don't think that will ever happen. Cambium has stated over and over that they will not do a 3.XGHz ePMP version. Especially when it would maginalize their existing PMP450 product line. Not to mention, I played around with some of the Ubiquiti M series 3.65 gear that does exactly what you're talking about... downconverts 5GHz to 3.XGHz... and it worked horribly. Yeah... not going to happen.