3.6 450 13.4 region bug

Update an SM to 13.4. Set to factory defaults and reboot. Default frequencies are enabled. 5, 7, 10 and 20MHz are all selected. Set the region to North America / United States and then it immediately turns off 5 and 10MHz channel bandwidth, leaving only 7 and 20MHz.

So what's going to happen when a tech takes a factory default 13.4 SM into the field? When it registers via ICC to an AP and inherits its region, I suspect the same thing will happen, 5 and 10MHz will be deselected. And if the session drops or it's power-cycled, no more registering on 10MHz APs (all we run).

This is mucho ungood.

I just tried something else. All bandwidths selected. Set the region to Other - Regulatory / Other. All bandwidths still selected. Change the region to NA / US or even Other / Other FCC and 5 and 10MHz bandwidths go away again.

... When it registers via ICC to an AP and inherits its region, I suspect the same thing will happen, 5 and 10MHz will be deselected. And if the session drops or it's power-cycled, no more registering on 10MHz APs (all we run).

Have you confirmed this or is this just your suspicion? We'll look into this since this sounds like you are concluding this is a problem when it inherits CC from the AP.

I just tested an AP and an SM both on 13.4. The SM registered and I looked at the radio scan list. All of the bandwidths are still selected after it registers. Then once you go to the general config page, it obviously bugs you to set the region. And once you set it to United States, 5 and 10MHz bandwidths go away.

This is still a major concern. A NOC tech provisioning a new SM that a field tech has just installed might not notice this. Or the same thing happening when an automated provisioning system (which we hope to do at some point) that sets the region, but there are no human eyes on it, so it will provision, reboot, and then the SM won't register.

I even tried deselecting a couple frequencies and 20MHz bandwidth. Doesn't matter, once you set the region to US, 5 and 10MHz are gone. I remember there was a similar bug back in 12.x where if you didn't click the save button on the radio page, some things would get unselected.

I also tested upgrading from 13.2.1 to 13.4 with an SM that was configured with the proper region and only 10MHz bandwidth selected. All settings were intact after 13.4 booted.

Just wanted to let you guys know. Hopefully you'll get this fixed up for 13.4.1.

We take radios directly from the factory, upgrade them to 13.4, and then set the region to USA and have never seen this behavior. Are you using 3.65GHz radios, or 3.5GHz radios? Crazy question, have you tried using a different web browser and/or computer when you make/check settings on the radios GUI?

I saw problems similar to this back in the 12.2 era at one point.  But so far I haven't encountered any such problem with 13.4.  The GUI works very well both in the latest chrome browser as well as by feeding the radio settings through perl script.

Maybe your browser is doing something strange.

Nope, not the browser. And this doesn't happen on 13.2.1.

Update to 13.4. Factory default and reboot. Set an FCC region. 5 and 10MHz bandwidth scan selections become unchecked, leaving only 7 and 20MHz which we don't use.

Yes, I see was able to duplicate this when I tried it just now.  Interesting.  

One of the firmwares in the 12.2 era had some crazy behavior in the frequencies list and gave me quite a bit of grief.

At least it's easily fixable by rechecking the frequencies and hitting save.  It's just one extra step if you're doing this all by hand anyway.  Kind of annoying but not the end of the world.

I mean the inherit region thing you would have to test.  That shouldn't be the case because there's actually a check on the radio page when you're registered to an AP where if you try to uncheck a registered frequency it has a pop up box that warns you you're about to strand your SM.  I would think that would be prevented.

This particular issue is resolved in 13.4.1 open beta.

1 Like

@Chitrang wrote:
This particular issue is resolved in 13.4.1 open beta.

Nice. I'm glad you guys found the issue. I'm planning to load up some test sites next week.