3630SM Rebranded Alvarion CPE3000-PRO

Hello all,

We have a large existing installation of Alvarion Wimax using Alvarion CPE3000 CPE’s. We are have been working to possibly switch over to Cambium 320. Looking at the gui interface of the Cambium 3630SM and the physical box it appears that these devices are almost exactly the same as the CPE3000 CPE. The default IP addresses match Alvarion, SNMP strings as well. Which makes me curious about the interoperability between the two. I would love to be able to swap an Alvarion base station / AP with a Wimax 320 and keep my existing CPE3000 CPE’s online! …

We have been doing some testing in this scenario and I can get the CPE3000’s to go operational on the AP but it appears that I begin to have problems once I add more than one client. We have been using the Cambium 320 in L2 mode / using ETHCS bridge / Timed to UGPS / Dual Omni Setup. I am thinking that the timing may be in compatible with the Alvarion CPE.

Has anyone had any additional testing with this? What about loading Cambium CPE firmware onto an Alvarion? Moving forward the plan will be to using 3630 exclusively with these AP’s but if I could get this to work it would really help with migration and investment protection.

You’re using omnis on a PMP320 AP???

Is Extended Range enabled?

11 db Omni’s - This is how we usually did it with our our Alvarions.

Extended range is enabled yes.

Extended range is a Motorola/Cambium-specific hack to the WiMAX protocol - won’t work without their own firmware. Turn it off and it should work fine, at least as well as 360 degrees of interference and low power density from not using sectors can let it work.

Are the omnis recommended by Alvarion or something?

akant wrote:
Hello all,

We have a large existing installation of Alvarion Wimax using Alvarion CPE3000 CPE's. We are have been working to possibly switch over to Cambium 320. Looking at the gui interface of the Cambium 3630SM and the physical box it appears that these devices are almost exactly the same as the CPE3000 CPE. The default IP addresses match Alvarion, SNMP strings as well. Which makes me curious about the interoperability between the two. I would love to be able to swap an Alvarion base station / AP with a Wimax 320 and keep my existing CPE3000 CPE's online! ..

We have been doing some testing in this scenario and I can get the CPE3000's to go operational on the AP but it appears that I begin to have problems once I add more than one client. We have been using the Cambium 320 in L2 mode / using ETHCS bridge / Timed to UGPS / Dual Omni Setup. I am thinking that the timing may be in compatible with the Alvarion CPE.

Has anyone had any additional testing with this? What about loading Cambium CPE firmware onto an Alvarion? Moving forward the plan will be to using 3630 exclusively with these AP's but if I could get this to work it would really help with migration and investment protection.

This SMs are Gemtek WIXS-155 (number depends on frequency) with changed firmware. So why you want to move from Alvarion to Cambium. Is Alvarion seizing development, too? Heard they are selling their business. I would prefer the Alphawireless Omnis as they are dual slanted.
salad wrote:
Extended range is a Motorola/Cambium-specific hack to the WiMAX protocol - won't work without their own firmware. Turn it off and it should work fine, at least as well as 360 degrees of interference and low power density from not using sectors can let it work.

Are the omnis recommended by Alvarion or something?

Most CPEs work with Extended Range. At least all we've tested.
Omnis need an electrical downtilt to reduce interference and useful in some but not all places.