450i AP limit subscriber bandwith

I have a ring of 450i APs with multiple subscribers on each AP. I want the subscribers total bandwith on the network to be capped at a certain amount. For example, I want the subscribers to be limited to 350mbs on the ring. Is there a way on the AP to limit the bandwith of the uplink of the subscriber? For example if I had 100 subscribers on the network. I would want to limit each subscribers uplink to 3.5mbs each. I want to be able to do this on the AP if that is possible, instead of having to configure each subscriber. Also, if the AP can't do it per subscriber, but instead if the subscribers all use the same pool of bandwith. Say I have 10 subscirbers on an AP, how would i set the AP to only allow 35 mbs of bandwith to the subscribers uplink.

Thanks!

@Kyle-JTS wrote:

I have a ring of 450i APs with multiple subscribers on each AP. I want the subscribers total bandwith on the network to be capped at a certain amount. For example, I want the subscribers to be limited to 350mbs on the ring. Is there a way on the AP to limit the bandwith of the uplink of the subscriber? For example if I had 100 subscribers on the network. I would want to limit each subscribers uplink to 3.5mbs each. I want to be able to do this on the AP if that is possible, instead of having to configure each subscriber. Also, if the AP can't do it per subscriber, but instead if the subscribers all use the same pool of bandwith. Say I have 10 subscirbers on an AP, how would i set the AP to only allow 35 mbs of bandwith to the subscribers uplink.

Thanks!

Hey Kyle-JTS,

I don't think there's a way in our current system to do something as you describing exactly. You could configure your AP to use Radius authentication, which would let you change the Bandwidth Configuration Source setting on the AP from "SM" to "Authentication Server". Then, regardless of the SM's settings, the AP/Radius would push an MIR config that could set all the SMs "Sustained Uplink Bandwidth" to 35 Mbps.

This wouldn't allow you to dynamically change the value to correspond to "Total Desired Bandwidth / Number of Subscribers", but if you know in advance how many Subscribers would be on that sector, you could pre-assign a value like 350 mbps / 100.

All that said, you may want to keep an eye out for 16.1 and add yourself to the Beta users if you aren't already. There are "Rate Plan" features coming ou in 16.1 that may be beneficial to what you're trying to accomplish.

-Al

Thanks for this reply. I am still new with 450i radios. 

So if I wanted to limit a subscriber to uplink only 2Mbs of bandwith maximum, I would have to go to each subscriber and change the "Sustained Uplink Data Rate" to 2Mbs?

Hey Kyle,

Yes, if you're not using Radius for authentication, the AP can't push the Radius-confgured SM settings down automatically, so you'd have to pre-configure the SM to use a 2mbps (actually 2000 kbps, since the GUI is set in kbps).

If you haven't already looked at a PMP450 series manual, I would highly recommend it. There are things like burst allocation, which would let SMs temporarily increase their UL or DL rates for large downloads. For example, you could have a 2mbps sustained rate, but a "burst bucket" can fill in the meantime, and allow a burst of 6mbps (or whatever arbitrary value you choose) for X mb of data. This lets customers get a higher rate for large downloads but limits them to the sustained rate when streaming for longer periods of time.

We also have training classes that might be beneficial if you're thinking about deploying more of this equipment. There's a lot of power in there!

Take a look here: https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/pmp-distribution/

Click on Documenation, then the "Guides" tab, and check out "PMP/PTP 450 Series User Guide (pmp-2384)".

There's a lot in there, but for what you're asking about, the section on "Quality of Service (QoS) page of SM" should be helpful.

-Al

1 Like