450i Radios Getting Struck by Lightning

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the 450i radios from getting burnt up by lightning?

Hi - I will assume that you are using the lightning protection techniques outlined here.

What is your location?

1 Like

Another (perhaps unwelcome) note is that if your equipment suffers a direct lightning strike, it will likely be destroyed, even if properly grounded and using indicated surge suppression equipment.

2 Likes

@CambiumMatt wrote:

Another (perhaps unwelcome) note is that if your equipment suffers a direct lightning strike, it will likely be destroyed, even if properly grounded and using indicated surge suppression equipment.

Yeah, this has happened to us. The best you can hope for when a direct, or even on-tower near strike occurs is that the inside/bunker stuff isn't completely fried, and that comes down to good on tower lightning suppression and grounding.

Years ago, we had a direct strike on a small repeater that was using an APC UPS. All the gear got fried, but because of APC's warranty, we were able to make a claim and they paid for 100% of the equipment that was plugged into it. Not sure if they're still that easy to work with now, but I know other manufacturer's offer this. You could also have it insured as well and make a claim. This would depend on how valuable/expensive the radios are to you. 450m 3GHz radios... def wanna insure.

1 Like