450m sync with 450 on same tower

Hi.  We have a tower with 6 450 sectors.  We would like to replace two back-to-back sectors with 450M.

Will the timing settings on the radio config page need to match the 450m + 450 APs for best-case sync?

Is there a problem mixing sync from CMM Micro on the 450 and sync via UGPS for 450m?

Hi FVI,

For PMP450m, we have to use CMM5 as a Sync source. As for as configuration is concerned, since the Sync source is different it does need to be same but I would like to cross verify this.

Regards,

Sanjay Kumar.

Only CMM5?  Your manual shows we can use UGPS/AUX for sync source.

Hi FVI,

I forgot to include the uGPS, yes it supports uGPS. At thie point you can use the CMM4 for PMP450 and uGPS for 450m if they are same cluster, I'm checking if we can use CMM3 for PMP450 or not.

Regards,

Sanjay Kumar.

450m arrived today.  We replaced just 1 of the 6 sectors mentioned above.  It will take a day to collect some data, but thus far no ill affect.

Our setup is:

4 PMP 450 with CMM Micro sync-over-power (split between two CMM Micro)

1 PMP 450 with Sync over timing port

1 PMP 450m with Sync over timing port

Sectors using timing port have one AP running 30MHz channel and the other 20MHz (450m).

Additionally, this tower has 4 PMP 100 AP's with CMM Micro Timing source.

All using 5.7/5.8 freqs

1 Like

Hi FVI

what kind of power supply do you use for your AP 450m?

If you dont mind the suggestion: Use the frame calculator to make sure you arent transmitting/receving on top of yourself .

I believe cambium support has a excel file that gives a graphical representation based on that data from the ofdm frame calculator (under tools) so you can see how your spacing lines up

Also, and this might sound stupid, we are still stealing sync from our 450i APs directly into the 450m AUX ports and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks,

It's called PMP 450 - PMP 100 co-location tool v2. 

Timing checks are OK and we seem to running OK using the config I noted above.

How is the cable between PMP450i and PMP450m to give sync to the medusa?

The 450i and 450m AUX port pinouts are the same.  In the User Guide, page  5-11, Table 76 explains the pinout of the AUX port.

To connect Sync between two radios, you only need pin 7 and 8 to go from the 450i AUX port out to the 450m AUX port (straight through, pin 7 to 7 and pin 8 to 8).  You can use a straight through patch cable for this if desired.

Regarding settings on the radios, on the 450i, you need:

General > Config > Sync Output > Aux Port: Enabled

The 450m then needs the following settings configured:

General > Config > Sync Source > AutoSync or AutoSync + Free Run

General > Config > AP Type: Remote AP (not strictly required, but recommended)

Let us know how this works for you.  Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

When syncing the PMP450M from the PMP450i, do both radios need to be on the same Frame Period to properly sync? I always perferred running 5ms on our AP's but I see the PMP450M only supports 2.5ms at this time. Hopefully that changes here soon.

@Fld Wrls wrote:

When syncing the PMP450M from the PMP450i, do both radios need to be on the same Frame Period to properly sync? I always perferred running 5ms on our AP's but I see the PMP450M only supports 2.5ms at this time. Hopefully that changes here soon.

Hi, 

Yes, the frame period will have to match for the two to sync. We don't have a target release for 5ms support on 450m, yet. 

Thanks,

Sriram

I see 5.0 ms framing is an option in the 3 GHz 450m now, as of v16.0.1, but it doesn't let me save it.  I can select it, click Save, and the screen refresh it goes back to 2.5 ms.  Any thoughts?

What happens when you save it, and reboot the radio? Does it come back up using 5ms?

What happens when you try to set 5ms for a different channel width, like 30MHz? (this channel width is specifically mentioned in the 16.0.1 release notes as having 5ms support, 40MHz is NOT supported however).

Frame Period option for "5.0 ms" should work for 3GHz PMP450m running at 16.0.1 software release. I confirmed it by picking this option and clicking on "Save Changes". But if you leave the "Radio" GUI tab without clicking "Save Changes" then the configuration is reverted to the previous values when you return to "Radio" tab.

Please confirm if you continue to observe this issue so that we can open a ticket with Cambium Support team to further investigate this radio.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Global Services Customer Support