5.7 AP/SM Range / Signal is much weaker than I expected

Current numbers:

(6) 5.7 AP’s on a tower at 285’.
Software is latest available - 7.1.4.

Case 1:
(2) 5.7 SM’s on dish 1.37 miles and North from tower.
Software 7.1.4
Current signal at SM’s is 667 to mid 700, jitter of 1 to 2.
(200 to 300 without dish).
Registered with single digit re-reg count (1)
NO LOS issues - clear as clear could be.
Spectrum Analysis shows -70 dbm for this channel.
Power is in mid 70’s.

Case 2: (HAD TO USE 900 SINCE THE 5.7 IS UNSTABLE DUE TO RE-REG)
(1) 5.7 SM on dish 2.48 miles and Southwest of same tower.
Software 7.1.4.
Current signal at SM is 380 to 450.
Registers with high re-reg count (unusable).
Spectrum analysis is -65 to -70 dbm.
NO LOS issues - very clean.
Power is in mid 70’s.

If the range of these radio’s is truly even 80% of it’s advertised 2 miles without dish and 10 with, I have a problem that I can’t identify.

Has anyone got any ideas or seen similar problems with the 5.7 AP/SM equipment?

Canopy Support???

dptexas wrote:
Current numbers:

(6) 5.7 AP's on a tower at 285'.
Software is latest available - 7.1.4.

Case 1:
(2) 5.7 SM's on dish 1.37 miles and North from tower.
Software 7.1.4
Current signal at SM's is 667 to mid 700, jitter of 1 to 2.
(200 to 300 without dish).
Registered with single digit re-reg count (1)
NO LOS issues - clear as clear could be.
Spectrum Analysis shows -70 dbm for this channel.
Power is in mid 70's.

Case 2:
(1) 5.7 SM on dish 2.48 miles and Southwest of same tower.
Software 7.1.4.
Current signal at SM is 380 to 450.
Registers with high re-reg count (unusable).
Spectrum analysis is -65 to -70 dbm.
NO LOS issues - very clean.
Power is in mid 70's.

If the range of these radio's is truly even 80% of it's advertised 2 miles without dish and 10 with, I have a problem that I can't identify.

Has anyone got any ideas or seen similar problems with the 5.7 AP/SM equipment?

Canopy Support???

How many units total deployed on that AP? If these are the first two units deployed, is it possible that the AP has issues?

What does the received RSSI look like at the AP for those two nodes? If the RSSI at the tower is greater for each SM than the RSSI at the SM's are, that would be a strong indicator there are issues at the AP.

-m-

The deployed AP’s are all 5700AP sectionals. These customers represent the first three customers deployed on two different APs from this grouping of 6.

The first 2 from the AP look like this:

LUID: 002 : MAC: 0a-00-3e-xx-xx-xx State: IN SESSION (Encrypt Active)
Site Name : blahblah
Software Version : CANOPY 7.1.4 Apr 26 2005 11:07:45
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 020205 (DES) P9
Session Timeout: 14, AirDelay 147
Session Count: 9, Reg Count 9, Re-Reg Count 0
RSSI (Avg/Last): 574/576 Jitter (Avg/Last): 2/2 Power Level (Avg/Last): -74/-74
LUID: 003 : MAC: 0a-00-3e-xx-xx-xx State: IN SESSION (Encrypt Active)
Site Name : glahblah
Software Version : CANOPY 7.1.4 Apr 26 2005 11:07:45
Software Boot Version : CANOPYBOOT 3.0
FPGA Version : 020205 (DES) P9
Session Timeout: 25, AirDelay 139
Session Count: 3, Reg Count 3, Re-Reg Count 0
RSSI (Avg/Last): 660/657 Jitter (Avg/Last): 1/2 Power Level (Avg/Last): -72/-72
LoUpCIR: 0 LoDnCIR: 0 (kbps)

…and from the SM look like this: (LUID2)

Index: 2 Frequency: 5800.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-xx-xx-xx
Jitter: 2 RSSI: 735 Power Level: -69 Beacon Count: 31 BRcvW: 1
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 7203 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 2 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 1099 SectorID: 5 Color Code: 123 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 1
PercentDataDwn: 70 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3

(LUID3):

Index: 2 Frequency: 5800.0 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-xx-xx-xx
Jitter: 2 RSSI: 837 Power Level: -66 Beacon Count: 22 BRcvW: 1
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 6811 feet TxBER: 0 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 1 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
FrameNumber: 137 SectorID: 5 Color Code: 123 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 1
PercentDataDwn: 70 PercentDataUpHi: 0 NumDAckSlots: 3 NumContSlots: 3 NumUAckSlots: 3

The third SM could not be installed with a 5.7. I have had to use a 900. It conected but I am now having to deal with other known issues.

These 2 installed 5.7’s seem to be performing OK. Problem is as stated -

Do they not work for more than 3 miles with dish?

dptexas wrote:

These 2 installed 5.7's seem to be performing OK. Problem is as stated -

Do they not work for more than 3 miles with dish?

What part of all the information you have provided would indicate to you that they would not work for more than three miles?

Your RSSI's are all in the -66 to -77 dB range. Your jitter numbers look good. There is no reason I can see in the numbers you have provided to believe that the devices couldn't be taken out to at least six or eight miles without loosing link, so long as you have the requisite clean los and a reasonable noise floor.

I'm thinking the difference in reported RSSI is confusing you? Personally, I've never understood the necessity for any received signal indicator measurement other than decibels. Any other measurement is relative and generally relative only to the specific hardware and frequency. There is no way to compare "apples to apples" unless you stick with dBm as your measure of received signal strength.

The 900 stuff reports lots bigger RSSI numbers than the 5.7 GHz stuff. The decibels are what matter.

Micers is correct, look at the dBm and not at the RSSI values. According to the data you presented there doesn’t appear to be a problem. Your signal strength is within the receiver sensitivity.

As stated in the first e-mail, the third 5.7 radio at about 2.5 miles will not register with stability. I ahd to use a 900. I have had several more opportunities to not install additional 5.7 radios today within 3.5 miles of the tower. No RSSI reading above 380. If they connect, re-regs begin very quickly.

Have you used the Spectrum Analyzer without any of your units transmitting? You could have interference from other sources transmitting at or near the frequencies of your APs. Switch the APs to SM mode (so they don’t transmit) and check the Spectrum Analyzer on an SM at the customer location where you had problems – even if you decide to leave the 900MHz in place. You should also run the Spectrum Analyzer on the APs while they’re in SM mode.

The following issues likely aren’t related to your problem, especially when the jitter looks as good as it does, but I’m curious… When the problem SM was connected to its AP, did you verify it was connected at the same frequency as the AP? Are the 6 APs in your cluster synchronized with a CMM? Are all your other APs connected to a CMM, even if there’s only a single AP at a location? What’s the Max Range of the APs set to?

Q: When the problem SM was connected to its AP, did you verify it was connected at the same frequency as the AP?

A: No - but will investigate.

Q: Are the 6 APs in your cluster synchronized with a CMM? Are all your other APs connected to a CMM, even if there’s only a single AP at a location?

A: Yes, Yes. Exception - the 900 omni at the tower. Only 900 that I use in this county.

Q: What’s the Max Range of the APs set to?

A: 10 miles is set on all 5.7 AP’s.