5700 Sectorized

Looking at having a 5.7 connectorized by FDDI and using it with a sectorized antenna. Anyone have any experience good, bad, or indifferent?

TilTek, MTI come to mind.

Well i used a 900 ap connectorized with a tiltek 120 panel and it worked great but i have not used a 5.7 yet.

We’re feeding our 900MHz AP sites with an ATE-connectorized 5.7AP for backhaul. We use a 9dBi Omni and it works great up to about 11 miles, after that there’s just not enough signal at the remote end even with the 29dBi grid reflector. Our longest shot was 11.5 miles and we ended up switching out the 5.7SM for a reflectored backhaul set. I’d recommend the mod. It’s worked wonders for us.

Jerry,

I have 2 Radio Waves 17dbi, 60°, Horizontal Sector antennas. They work great, but the down tilt is about 1° degree.

I also use Andrew parabolic antennas to sectorize 8°. ( At about 30 Kilometer it covers the valley I want to service.)

I also have one instalation using an MTI 23 dbi patch antenna, but they only do 9°.

Looks like a contender. What kind of range do you get on an SM with and without reflectors?

You do mean vertically polarized though, yes?

They are all connectorized, I would say an average of 20 Kilometer using 17 dbi Sector plus 23dbi MTI in the SM. It’s a nice antenna, but expensive.

Using Andrew 29dbi parabolic antennas, on average it’s about 35 Kilometers. But this could go very far, 50 - 60 Kilometers with out a problem. I’m assuming that you are in a mountain top somewhere or a very high tower and LOS, It’s the only way to get the range I’m talking.

Vertical Polarization?
More than 80% of the 5.8 radios are using vertical polarization. In this case using horizontal does give an advantage.

Thanks for the info.

Was it ia decision to go Horzontal from the beginning or did you make that change due to interference?

By the way, the terrain in my coverage area is such that from our tower location you can see more land mass than any place on Earth.

We claim to cover 1800 square miles, but we can see much much more. We just don’t want to have to drive an hour and a half through traffic and over bridges for a service call.

We have a self-imposed limit of 20 miles from the tower. Within that we cover the 1800 square miles.

It was, 1- The antenna and 2- What most people use ( Vertical ) that made us purchase the antenna.

We have about 7 mountain top locations, we cover about 5,000 square Kilometers. ( 100 Km x 50 Km). And yes, driving for 3 hours for a service call is a problem, but we got to the point where, if we can’t se the radio, the client has to bring it in to our office. All the radios are inside, all, even the 5.8 GHz radios. But we always ask if they can see the green LED on the power supply.
We only drive to the location if we have intermittent problems ( Interference. ) Most cases we have to re-aim the antenna.

For 5.8 GHz radio we use Heliax cable, for 900 Mhz, we install the antenna on top of the location and wire it using LMR400 to the radio inside.

Clients will sometime ship them to us! :smiley:

We can do more, but we don’t want to, it gets very scary, heck I’m at the point where I would like to sell the company.
We have local telecommunication license and we pay heavy taxes down here. It’s insane!

cvs wrote:
We're feeding our 900MHz AP sites with an ATE-connectorized 5.7AP for backhaul. We use a 9dBi Omni and it works great up to about 11 miles, after that there's just not enough signal at the remote end even with the 29dBi grid reflector. Our longest shot was 11.5 miles and we ended up switching out the 5.7SM for a reflectored backhaul set. I'd recommend the mod. It's worked wonders for us.

I try to opened the AP, and look inside the metal plate and the back metal cover, how would you solder from the AP to coax cable?
There is one small hole from the back metal cover and 3 leg metal for the front metal cover.

thx

I can solder, but on a $1500 AP, I wouldn’t. ATE Research mods the Canopy line.

See here: http://www.fddisystems.com/ateresearch/conversion.htm

After thinking about it we decided against it. Not because the soldering is an issue, but because we don’t want to be over the FCC limit of 1W.

Jerry,

Operating as a Part 15.247 (ISM) device this is an estimated maximum achievable EIRP, you are allowed unlimited antenna gain for point to point. Under Part 15.407 (U-NII).

I think the max permitted RF output of the radio is one watt, plus what ever you can put in the antenna, 28, 32, 40 dbi.

You can do it and it’s legal but you will void the amazing Motorola warranty of 3 month.

Right. We were looking at PMP.

Jerry,

Then if it’s for PTM your internal radiator can not be more than 100mw, 20dbm, the external can be what ever you want.

17dbi + 20dbm = 37 dbm

Before it used to be a max of 8 W EIRP, 39dbm.

The following companies have more than 1 watt EIRP using integrated antennas

Axxcelera Max, 18dbm + 21 dbi antenna ( Multipoint )
Tranzeo, TR-5plus, 23 dbm + 24 dbi antenna ( Multipoint ) ! FCC
Proxim, Tsunami Base, 18 dbm + 17 dbi antenna ( Multipoint )

Some 20 more brands, using atheros radio chipset.

ridnet,

did you ever use cyclone omni 2450.360-15 antenna? how bout compare to connectorized AP?

So the question I need to ask Moto is why are the AP’s running 1W insteat of 4?

I can’t imagine that they would not want to run at the highest possible linit.

4id some checking.

As I suspected, the max EIRP for 2.4 and 5.7 is 1W.

900 is 4W.

No, No,

Jerry, the original question was for a 5.7 GHz Sector Antenna.

The recommended maximum EIRP for a Point to Multi Point using 5.7 GHz band is not 1 watt, it’s 8 Watts, or 39.031 dbm.
The list shows you that.
Now it’s very easy to get a Point to Point with an EIRP of 7,843 Watts in the 5.7 GHz band and have FCC approval.

Section 15.247 Operation within the bands 902 - 928 MHz, 2400 - 2483.5 MHz, and 5725 - 5850 MHz. has different EIRP and internal radiator values and total hopping and radio bandwidth for each spectrum, plus other timing issues.

At the moment, yes 900 MHz has a maximum EIRP of 4 Watts total.

Now under section 15.249, 2.4 GHz is another story, EIRP can be as high 100.2 watts :shock: , using the 3 for 1 rule. ( That’s 23 dbm internal radiator and a 27 dbi antenna )

This could be confusing, for all of you who are trying to do thing the right way.

mnet, I have no idea what the cyclone omni 2450.360-15 antenna is.
Is that a 2.4 GHz 15dbi Horizontal Omni?