900Mhz connection drop

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark, ... ~days=9999

The above link discusses the issue we are having in detail. There wasn't much knowledge of Canopy there, and I stumbled across this site. There's obviously a lot of knowledge here. So I'm hoping to find a solution. I've found a few things here to look into, but none of the issues seem to fully match what we have.

The Connection has been a nightmare. In the beginning it would drop connection for a few seconds and when it would come back up we were stuck at 128K download and 528K upload until the next reboot. An upgrade in software to care of that problem.

Then it would drop connection at anytime, and sometimes Unplugging the antenna and router would bring it back for a while.

Even during the day, when things are running bad and I'm able to slip into the status of the antenna I'm still getting RSSI of -72dbm up to -80dbm and the jitter is normally 1-4, occassionally slipping to 10 for a second. The stats that I'm familiar with will look good then it drops to scanning/registering/...... then back out.

Things I've tried:
Taken out all cordless phones
Ran the antenna to the computer instead of the router

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Is this a connectorized, or integrated 900SM?

Integrated is 12"w x 18" h and has a 12.5dB panel antenna integrated into the SM. Connectorized is 4"w x 12"h and has a connector hanging out the back.

What software

What router

Is the antenna looking over the roof line, or is it at the tower end of the house? if it is looking over the roof line, move it to the other end of the house. The roof line causes interference.

check the cable for staples

swag a temp cable from the router to the SM

assign the IP in your router to your computer and bypass the router

try it with another computer - laptop or other

The power level is close the edge with a 900SM (-80 is marginal). Make sure the power level in the SM is set to 28dB. If you are using an integrated, ask them to upgrade you to a connectorized SM and a 13dB yagi antenna. Offer to pay them for the upcharge and the installers time to swap it out - 100 bucks seems fair.

900MHz SM’s are pretty amazing and at 1 mile you should be able to get a solid link.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Is this a connectorized, or integrated 900SM?

Integrated is 12"w x 18" h and has a 12.5dB panel antenna integrated into the SM. Connectorized is 4"w x 12"h and has a connector hanging out the back .

It is Connectorized.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
What software

Software version: CANOPY 7.2.9 Jul23 2005 01:49:03 SM-DES

Jerry Richardson wrote:
What router
linksys WRT54g wireless

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Is the antenna looking over the roof line, or is it at the tower end of the house? if it is looking over the roof line, move it to the other end of the house. The roof line causes interference.
They do have it on the oppoliste end of the house and it's over looking the entire length of the roof.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
check the cable for staples

swag a temp cable from the router to the SM

assign the IP in your router to your computer and bypass the router

try it with another computer - laptop or other
I have 2 desktops and a wireless. It happens to all three at the same times. The other suggestions I will try.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
The power level is close the edge with a 900SM (-80 is marginal). Make sure the power level in the SM is set to 28dB. If you are using an integrated, ask them to upgrade you to a connectorized SM and a 13dB yagi antenna. Offer to pay them for the upcharge and the installers time to swap it out - 100 bucks seems fair

900MHz SM's are pretty amazing and at 1 mile you should be able to get a solid link.

Thanks for taking the time to make your post. You definately gave me a few things to try.

As far as getting the solid link, as I said I'm 1 mile from the tower, but I have about 600 feet of trees between me and the tower. The trees start about 50 yards from the house. They're not huge trees and most are less than a foot in diameter. The provider hasn't been assisting with a better connection because they believe the trees are the problem. Is it possible that this much foilage could be the problem? At first they told me that they wouldn't be an issue, but after the second visit and moving the antenna from the side of the house to the roof on a tripod they decided that the trees were the problem and they won't move it again.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write up the options that you did.

Before you waste any more time, move the radio and antenna to the other end of the house, or elevate it at least 6’ above the roof line.

What antenna is the provider using? If it is anything less than a 13 element yagi, your chances are slim.

I think you have a gain problem. Two ways to get more gain - more power, higher gain antenna. If the radio is at max, then your only other option is more gain.

If you are using a 13dB antenna, then you could use an 18dBi yagi - that would give you 5dB more gain which shouold do the trick.

After that you need to get a chain saw. :twisted:

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Before you waste any more time, move the radio and antenna to the other end of the house, or elevate it at least 6' above the roof line.

What antenna is the provider using? If it is anything less than a 13 element yagi, your chances are slim.

I think you have a gain problem. Two ways to get more gain - more power, higher gain antenna. If the radio is at max, then your only other option is more gain.

If you are using a 13dB antenna, then you could use an 18dBi yagi - that would give you 5dB more gain which shouold do the trick.

After that you need to get a chain saw. :twisted:

The radio is on a 6ft tripod now. Then antenna is an 11dB yagi. Sounds like something else that could do the trick.

The chainsaw has crossed my mind.

I sent an email to my provider asking about the roof line hoping to open communications back up with them. It's been a while since I last bugged them. With in 5 minutes I had a reply stating that it's been a while and that they had a few new things to try and that he wanted to send a crew out. Great news.

Thanks again.

Tweber

Can you check if you are set to Hardware or Software scheduling?
Also if “Hardware” check to see if 2X mode is set (both these items can be found on the config page).

Also look at the AP Eval page and let us know what power the AP sees you at.

BTW - can you make changes to the SM or just view data?

Adam

adamb wrote:
Tweber

Can you check if you are set to Hardware or Software scheduling?
Also if "Hardware" check to see if 2X mode is set (both these items can be found on the config page).

Also look at the AP Eval page and let us know what power the AP sees you at.

BTW - can you make changes to the SM or just view data?

Adam

It is set to Hardware scheduling, and the 2x rate is disabled.

Power rate: Jitter: 3 RSSI: 1430 Power Level: -72 Beacon Count: 20

I can only read the information and make no changes as far as I know.

When I asked about the yagi antenna I have they stated that the one I have is 13dBi. The sticker on it says 11dBi so not sure about that. They are coming out to install a 15dBi Parabolic antenna and move the radio.

Thanks again for the help I've gotten.