About synchronization...

Good morning,

we have less than 200 AP's (450-450i-450m) and after some study about Cambium synchronization we have set the AP's radio parameters similar as possible.

In one tower we have all'AP's with 11 miles range, one with 9 miles range and all the others towers with 8 miles range and 70% Downlink Data so in all our network we have 3 different settings all with the same numbers of Contention Slots.

On the "different" towers we compensate the more range with 1% more in the Downlink Data.

So now we have these 3 settings:

One tower with:9.JPG

One tower with:

11.JPG

ALL the others towers:

8.JPG

Can you tell me if with these settings our network is correctly synchronized?

Thank you!

1 Like

Telemar,

The key to synchronization is making sure the transmit of one AP doesn't overlap with the receive of another AP. The way to check this is run the Frame Calculator on the radios that you are synchronizing. Almost all of the time the radio's frame configuration does not check between software releases, but this is not always the case. Plus there might be a future enhancement we can do in optimizing the radio frame.

Note, I have assumed that all your APs are on 2.5 ms frame. They need to be on the same Frame Period.

Also, you did not mention it, but channel bandwidth causes changes in frame timing as well. You did not mention this either, so I'll assume all are 20 MHz.

So assuming your radios are on software 15.1.5, 2.5 ms frame and 20 MHz channel bandwidth:
Max Range: 9 miles
Downlink Data: 71%
Contention Slots: 6
Gives: 

AP Antenna Transmit End : 1.449733 ms 

AP Antenna Receive Start : 1.678523 ms 

Max Range: 11 miles
Downlink Data: 70%
Gives: 
AP Antenna Transmit End : 1.425447 ms 
AP Antenna Receive Start : 1.675837 ms 

Max Range: 8 miles
Downlink Data: 70%
Gives:
AP Antenna Transmit End : 1.449733 ms 
AP Antenna Receive Start : 1.667723 ms 

Your latest Transmit End time is 1.449733 ms and earliest Receive Start is: 1.675837 ms.

These do not overlap, so yes if my assumptions were correct above then they are synchronized.

Enjoy your day,

Charlie

4 Likes

Hi Charlie, 

thank you so much for your answer.

Your assumptions are right, the APs are on 2,5ms frame, 20 Mhz channel, but with software 15.1.1.

Are there any differences between the two software versions?

@Telemar wrote:

Your assumptions are right, the APs are on 2,5ms frame, 20 Mhz channel, but with software 15.1.1.

Are there any differences between the two software versions?

You're welcome. :) I have verified there is no differences between 15.1.5 and 15.1.1 for the radio's frame.

In the future, you can run the Frame Calculator on your radios that you have runnning and check their outputs.

1 Like