Added GPS to the CMMmicro, now the SM's won't connect up...

Good Evening,
Got a strange problem here. I have a small 900 AP cluster setup with a CMMmicro. We have just 2 AP’s, and each AP is serving 2 SM’s at the time being. Each AP was setup to Generate Sync, and all four SM’s connectted just fine. The readings on the SM’s were fine, but as traffic increased on them, we were getting drops and re-regs…Since the antennas we back to back with only about 10 feet of seperation, I assumed it was self interference…even though I am using a 10MHZ spread between frequencies.

So, tonight I installed the GPS antenna and connected it to the CMM. Woot, 8 sats tracked and 8 available. Logged into the AP’s and changed sync to power port and rebooted. Hmm, only 1 SM per AP sync’d back up. Called up one of the customers and had them power cycle the unit. Nope, still won’t sync. Strange. So, I switch one of the AP’s back to generate. Still only 1 SM. Switch the other AP to generate, and viola all 4 SM’s again.

What on earth is going on here?

With the AP’s back to back, try putting them on the same freq. Make sure the APs are registering that they are receiving sync.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
With the AP's back to back, try putting them on the same freq. Make sure the APs are registering that they are receiving sync.

Both AP's register sync. I tried the same frequency, and get the same results. The same 2 SM's register.

Something that seems strange to me is the GPS status page. It says Receiving sync, but then everything else is blank or zeroed. On the CMM, everything shows normal. # sats tracked, etc. Is this a normal behaviour when syncing through the power cable?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jake

By using the CMMmicro, you only see the status of the synchronization. No other info is displayed on the AP, the rest is on the CMM.
If you run only one AP at time, do both SMs register to that AP?

marwill wrote:
By using the CMMmicro, you only see the status of the synchronization. No other info is displayed on the AP, the rest is on the CMM.
If you run only one AP at time, do both SMs register to that AP?

Ok, that was my assumption...but I didn't want to leave anything out.

So, I took your suggestion and turned off one of the AP's and just ran 1 with GPS. Still no go, only one of the SM's will sync up.

I looked through the configurations of the clients to see what might be different between them, and the only difference is that the SM's that are sync'ing with GPS have the Sustained Data Rate's at the default. The ones that won't sync have their Data Rate's limited to 384 down / 100 up. Other than that, the client configs are identical. I have yet to test whether setting the other clients to the defaults makes it work....Have to do this at night because some internet is better than none for my customers. :)

All SM's and AP's are running 7.2.9, and we are using Hardware Scheduling. The AP I have been focusing my testing on has 2 clients. One at 1.1 Miles and one at 1.9 miles. Lots of trees, but they are still holding low 70's and the jitter is between 2-4. The spectrum is quite clean since this is a fairly rural area.