advantage platform

i was really interested in upgrade my old modems to the advantage platform but researching it looks like i will have to pay 70k for the upgrade? i have about 700+ sms and about 30 aps…is the information i received incorrect? that seems insane.

vince

We are paying $1135 to upgrade each Cyclone-120

vince wrote:
i was really interested in upgrade my old modems to the advantage platform but researching it looks like i will have to pay 70k for the upgrade? i have about 700+ sms and about 30 aps...is the information i received incorrect? that seems insane.

vince

Upgrading all SMs to advantage is probably not a good idea. You should only upgrade those who are willing to pay for the additional throughput that the advantage license provides, though it depends on your product layout and how you sell it.

For APs, we only use advantage and run hardware scheduling throughout the network. A non-advantage SM has no problems connecting to an Advantage AP.

definitely do not upgrade, to advantage, just for the sake of upgrading... you'll never recover (or have a very hard time recovering) the cost of going advantage if you do that.
http://motorola.canopywireless.com/promo/moveup/

If you have P9 AP's it's the software upgrade.

If you have P8 AP's then you need the AP swap.

one of the reasons for wanting the upgrade was the 5ms delays vs the 20ms…if i upgrade the AP’s to advantage that wont effect the ms delay unless the sm is upgraded as well correct?

You need ‘only’ the Adv AP and HWS in your network for the lower latency. Adv SMs are not required.

wait so let me get this straight…right now if i ping a customers sm (with non advantage upgrade) i get a reply from 20ms to 30ms. just by upgrading the AP’s to advantage i will be able to ping the 5ms to 10ms?

thanks

yes, when u enable h/s on AP.

Are P8 and P9 SMs capable of hardware scheduling? Do the P8 and P9s also exhibit the same improvements when communicating with an Advantage AP?

We had all P8 AP’s and SM’s and we upgraded the AP’s to Advantage.

Then we used CNUT Scheduling tool (plug in) that switches P8 SM’s registered to an Advantage AP to HW mode, and then switches the AP to HW mode.

Ping times went way down, but more importantly the links that previously marginal links are far better.

So in summary - Advantage AP + P8 SM works great with 7.3.6 software in Hardware mode.