Advantage SM compared to non-advantage SM

I am using 5.4 units. If i have an Advantage AP and a non advantage SM, will i still benefit form the 7ms latancy as if i had an Advantage SM?

If yes, is it only the bandwith that I would gain when having an adv SM.

Are there any other major differences between an Adv SM and a nonAdv SM?

I’m using standard 5.2 AES SM modules connected to Advantage AP DES modules.

Don’t ask why I am mixing AES and DES modules together, it’s a long story.

However, I gained both reduced latency and better throughput by switching to Advantage APs. With 7.07 installed I am getting 5.5 up and 7.3 down. Not too shabby for a SM to AP link.

The greater speeds come at a cost. I have experienced a loss in the amount of distance that I can cover.

Dan

Yes, an Advantage AP connecting to any SM, Advantage or standard, will give roundtrip latency down around 7 ms (after enabling hardware scheduling).

All 5.4 GHz modules are built from P9 hardware so all are capable of 2X operation.

The difference between Advantage SMs and standard SMs is

1) An Advantage SM gives 2X operation up to 1/2 range, and will run forever at 2X. Beyond 1/2 range, it give 1X operation.

2) A newer standard SM (hardware series P9) gives 2X operation up to 1/2 range, but only for “bursts”. Its sustained rate is capped at 7 Mbps aggregate (up+down, and you can decide how you allocate the 7 Mbps). Beyond 1/2 range, it gives 1X operation.

3) For completeness, I should mention an older standard SM (hardware series P7 or P8 ) give 1X operation (and only 1X operation) across the full range. (All 5.4 GHz modules are P9 hardware, so this doesn’t apply to 5.4 GHz.)

Caveats: “1/2 range” really means 2X has about 6 dB less sensitivity. Depending on the RF environment, noise floors, interference, etc., this may or may not be 1/2 the physical distance.