Alarm when SM ethernet = 10Mbps

Is it possible to enhance cnMaestro so that whenever a SM ethernet = 10Mbps, an alarm is raised?

This is almost always a cable fault.

5 Likes

If youā€™re using a software tool which can leverage SNMP (like Nagios), you can monitor/poll the speed of the Ethernet interface of SMs pretty simplyā€¦

For ePMPs, the OID is .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.1.4.12.0 (it returns the speed of the Ethernet port in Mbps, and for PMP450 SMs, itā€™s .1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.3.1.9.0 (returns the Ethernet Interface string you would find in the GUI under Device Information).

I donā€™t use it for SMā€™s, just for APs, but I get notified within 5 minutes of a speed drop, which is pretty useful.

This would most certainly be an awesome function of cnMaestro. We also frequently face such issue and premature alert would be nice.

1 Like

This is not exactly the same. If you can use SNMP why do you still use the controller? How will you use SNMP from a Cloud or when device locates behinds NAT or FW? The SNMP is a worse way to get information from the device at the current tech era.

There are a lot of reasons when alarms should be raised by cnMaestro but theyā€™re ignoring implementation. Much better to add a raw useless feature and go ahead with next one than enhance something existed, right ? sarcasm

Well, in the context I was describing, all of our APs and SMs are locally accessible within our network - none is behind a NAT or firewall. I can see how SNMP would be useless to you if that were not the case.

I wonder if this will be one of the things flagged by the cnMaestro ā€œAssistsā€ tool.

1 Like

Correct, thank you.
:handshake:

Is there a solution to this? We had a PTP550 backhaul where the ethernet dropped to 100 Mbit today. Rebooting the PTP550 resolved it for now - it came back up at 1Gbit. It may be an actual cable issue, or it may be just ā€˜one of those thingsā€™ but we just happened to notice it when looking at something elseā€¦ weā€™d rather have had an alarm setup to let us know, so we could fix it before it was an issue for any clients to complain/report.

Thanks