Any reason POE-24iR-CI 24VDC power supply won't work with non-sync ePMP ?

Hello,

We have been using these powersupplies ( http://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=POE-24iR-CI&eq=&Tp= ) to power our 900Mhz PMP100 customer radios for many years.  While we have found several advantages to these power supplies  the current detect light (yellow light turns green when radio is drawing power) is by far the best thing ever and has saved us uncountable hours of tech support time.  

I thought they should work with the ePMP radios also but that does not appear to be the case.  Normally when I connect a PMP100 radio to these the yellow light turns green the radio is powered and life is good.  When I connect an ePMP (non-synced, haen't tried a synced radio) radio to it the light turns green and the epmp powers up (the green power light comes on) and at first everything appears to work.  However around the time the ethernet kicks on on the ePMP something strange happens.  The ePMP appears to be powered (the power light and ethernet lights are on and the  yellow/green/green lights are doing their scanning thing) but the current detect light on the power supply goes yellow and while the PC connected to the ePMP shows an ethernet link we can not access the radio.  .

What might be  the reason for this ?  

Hello,

This technically should work but will NOT work on the Sync device as that is a 802.3af.

Any chance of sending us one of these units to us so we can test on the bench?

Thanks

Sakid

I'm curious about this as well.

Ive been testing non-GPS ePmp APs with reversed polarity wiring plugged into a Digital Loggers Midspan POE injector with great success. 

My new roll-out will be primarily GPS models. Am I to understand they WILL NOT work with 24V+ on pin 7,8/Ground on Pins 5,6??

Thanks,

I apologize for not seeing your post sooner.  If you are still internested in one of these I would be glad to have one dropshipped to you from streakwave. Just tell me where to send it.

Thanks

@brubble1 wrote:

I apologize for not seeing your post sooner.  If you are still internested in one of these I would be glad to have one dropshipped to you from streakwave. Just tell me where to send it.

Thanks

Send it to the attention of 

Sakid Ahmed

Cambium Networks

3800 Golf Road

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

@Sakid Ahmed wrote:

@brubble1 wrote:

Thanks

Send it to the attention of 

Sakid Ahmed

Cambium Networks

3800 Golf Road

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

The 24V one should work with ePMP ISMs/CSMs. 

http://tyconpower.com/products/files/TPS_POE_Power_Source_Spec_Sheet.pdf

However, the pins might need to be reversed to match the pin out on the ePMP CSM/ISMs.

For the AP, the 48V one that you sent should work just fine.

Thanks

Sakid

Grrrrr !  They shipped you the wrong Power supply  it was supposed to be a POE-24iR-CI   (24volt Reverse Polarity with Current detect)  .    Emailing streakwave now...

I spoke with streakwave and they confirmed they sent the wrong PS. If you are still interested in looking at it I will have them send you another PS or I'll ship you one myself.  

Something else interesting about the POE-24iR-CI .  In your reply to my original post about it not working with the non-sync ePMP radios  you said  "This technically should work but will NOT work on the Sync device as that is a 802.3af."  however they do in fact appear to work just fine on the Sync'ed ePMP. I powered one of our ePMP GPS Synced AP's with one the other day and  I was able to access the radio. So as far as I can tell it works just fine on the Synced radios just not on the non-synced ones. 

Thanks

Did you ever receive the new, correct, power supply ?

Now that we know the 2.4Ghz radios will run on on normal and reverse polairty like the GPS radios, and the GPS sync radios will run on these power supplies I'll have to see if the 2.4Ghz radios will run on these PSs. Maybe it is just 5Ghz that won't.

@brubble1 wrote:

Now that we know the 2.4Ghz radios will run on on normal and reverse polairty like the GPS radios, and the GPS sync radios will run on these power supplies I'll have to see if the 2.4Ghz radios will run on these PSs. Maybe it is just 5Ghz that won't.

I did receive the second one and yes, you are correct the GPS AP will work down to 24V as well but it needs a minimum of 24V at the ethernet port (long cables could make this challenging). 

There is no difference in the power circuitry between the 5GHz and 2.4GHz units so now the bottom line question is that you couldn't get the non sync units to power up with this PoE. Is that right? 

I will have someone test it and will confirm shortly.

Sakid

Btw - just confirming that this is the one I received.

Sakid

@brubble1 wrote:

Btw - the 48V one will not work with the ISM/CSM and will burn up those units. They work approximately between 11V - 29V

Sakid

That is a picture of the first one you received, and it was not the one they was supposed to send soo you can toss that one in the trash and forget you ever received it. The second one they sent you is the one  that works with PMP100 and should work with ePMP non-gps sync but does not.

THanks