Anyone used Ubnt EdgeSwitch for PoE

Hello, i am going to deploy my new tower with 4 ePMP1000 AP with Gps Sync but i dont want to use seperate adaptors for APs. Edgeswith has PoE and i am not sure its a good idea to power Aps. Anyone used it and can share his experiences? Thanks

UBNT and Canopy use different PoE pin-outs... using that EdgeSwitch would burn out your ePMP radios.

Eric is right. The Polarity is reversed on Cambium. I use Digital Loggers Mid-span POE injectors for Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, etc. and recently discovered reversing the brown and blue pairs will power up ePmp radios. I DO NOT know about tough-switch, Edgemax, etc, but I wouldn't risk it. I have replaced too many UBNT radios due to surges from (not so) toughswitches.

ePMP AP is .af compatible. The SM has reversed power. 

So it should work with the AP. But we have heard not much good things from toughswitch. We prefer Netonix. This works.

@ste wrote:

ePMP AP is .af compatible. The SM has reversed power. 

So it should work with the AP. But we have heard not much good things from toughswitch. We prefer Netonix. This works.

Slight correction... the ePMP GPS AP is .af AND Canopy proprietary compatible.

What i have read in the manual of ePMP1000 Gps AP 

"POWERING METHODS SUPPORTED 30V PoE Supply (included), CMM3 & CMM4, 802.3af PoE Supply"

what is written in the manual of ubnt edgeswitch

"The EdgeSwitchfeatures auto-sensing IEEE 802.3af/at and 24V passive PoE to power multiple devices on the network."

So doest it mean that edgeswitch is 100% compatible with ePMP1000 Gps AP ?

Thanks for your replies

any standard 48v poe switch will power the APs inlcuding the edge switch. the edge uses the same pin out as the 802.1 at and af stanards, just doesn't "sense" load. its passive. 

@Chris_Bay wrote:

any standard 48v poe switch will power the APs inlcuding the edge switch. the edge uses the same pin out as the 802.1 at and af stanards, just doesn't "sense" load. its passive. 

The EdgeSwitch
features auto-sensing IEEE 802.3af/at

1 Like

Why don't you try one out and let us know how it goes?

1 Like

The GPS sync epmp radios will power up just fine on an edgeswitch.  If you wish to use the non-sync version you will need to enable 24v out on the port and either swap the blue and brown pairs at one end of your ethernet cable or use an adapter such as this one from Tycon.

I prefer the Tycon adapter route as then I don't have to remember that the cable polarity is swapped in the event that I install a non-Cambium radio on the same cable at a later date.  The Cambium Syncronized radios can be used with many other passive 24v POE switches, etc. using the same adapter.

We use the packet flux units with GPS sync they work great and you can daisy chain them together whenever you need more.

http://store.packetflux.com/cambium-synchronization/?sort=bestselling

2 Likes

Hello Isaac, can you tell me if you have succsessfully conect ePMP NoSyn Radio to Digital Loggerr PoE Injector, reversing the brown and blue pairs.

I ask this question because I want to buy Digital Logger device, Do you recommend?

Personnaly, I use Netonix WISP switch that can also power SAF Lumina with lumina power spliter, Exalt, AF5 and AF24 radios with 48V 1.2A. The're also a lot more freature  than thoughswitch even if MSTP is still missing. Those switch could maybe power PTP650 and PTP820. 

@Michel Blais wrote:

Personnaly, I use Netonix WISP switch that can also power SAF Lumina with lumina power spliter, Exalt, AF5 and AF24 radios with 48V 1.2A. The're also a lot more freature  than thoughswitch even if MSTP is still missing. Those switch could maybe power PTP650 and PTP820. 

we started using these too. I love the netonix switches. 

for a mid span POE, netonix offers a remote powered POE switch, the 6mini.  we've got a couple of these at the end of 250' runs being powered by netonix WS-12-250 and they are powering 2 and 5 ghz snyc'd radios remotely, total of 4 APs per mini switch with 1 port free each and no issues at all, the master switch shows 30 watts going up to the mini (the power budget is 60 watts  per high power port).    the nice part about these, you are not limited to the 328' reach.  

I had 1 edge switch, its gone now.   

constant port rate negtionation issues with air fiber 5  (both of them on that tower) and sometimes with our wimax radios and snyced EPMP. seemed to work fine with all of our 100 meg gear, just gig issues.  didn't happen on the old switch and doesn't happen on the netonix

and a previous post in this thread i mistakenly said they are passive 48v. they are AF/AT, passive 24 sorry about that. 

2 Likes

I like a lot WS-10-250 and WS-12-250 for the small form factor than can go easily in most outdoor box while edgeswitch need a rackmount box. The're also the DC option while edgeswitch are only AC.

Something also interessting is  the fact that those are build in Canada and USA, not in China.

We've used the 8 Port Toughswitches on a few deployments and they work fine as long as you reverse the pins for Active to Passive POE. I have a long cable I use for testing but for my techs and on field deployments we use the adapters below at the switch port to do the conversion so I don't have to worry about someone verifying the pinout before frying something.

https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=POE-XOVER-S

Thanks for the pineout adaptor, I like it. It could be usefull for CPE without PoE access like CPE change from Ubnt to Cambium outside of buisness hour.

For the toughswichs, PoE work fine but thoses have know performance issues, STP is broken with tagged VLAN (won't detect loop if the're no untag vlan on a port) and seem like Ubnt have abandoned software developpement on it, probably because of know performance issue.

I've used UBNT Toughswitches for a long time and am done with them. I'm moving to Netonix for all future installations.  Much better switch, more options, features and seem more reliable. Plus, tech support on them is superior.  

1 Like

@Au Wireless wrote:

I've used UBNT Toughswitches for a long time and am done with them. I'm moving to Netonix for all future installations.  Much better switch, more options, features and seem more reliable. Plus, tech support on them is superior.  

Ditto for us... we use Netonix entirely now.

When using Netonix for GPS enable ePmp are you setting the ports to 24HV for 48V??