AP in cluster has poor downlink efficiency

I have 4 AP’s in a cluster… all have 90%+ downlink efficiency, except for one, which consistenly has 50-55% downlink. All AP’s have the same settings. I have checked and re-checked everything, but just can’t figure out why this one is the exception. Any ideas? I’d like to try the easy solutions before I climb a tower. :frowning:

Not easy, but replace the AP with an SM and do a spectrum analysis. It should help.

I was also thinking of taking a laptop up near the cluster and doing a spectrum analysis with NetStumbler. I’d prefer not taking down the AP if I can help it.

Spectrum Analisys with NetStumbler?..

AFAIK, Net stumbler is not a Spectrum Analizer… its a 802.11b sniffer…

So Im guessing your on 2.4? if your interference source is from a non 802.11b type of gear, netstumbler wont detect it

Gino

ginovilla wrote:
Spectrum Analisys with NetStumbler?...

AFAIK, Net stumbler is not a Spectrum Analizer... its a 802.11b sniffer...

So Im guessing your on 2.4? if your interference source is from a non 802.11b type of gear, netstumbler wont detect it

Gino

The way it was explained to me, NetStumbler is a SpecAn. Perhaps I got some bum info. I have never played with it, so thanks for the heads up.

The reason I'm reluctant to use the SM as a SpecAn is that we've never really been able to make the SpecAn function work correctly, so I don't have that much confidence in it....

Is the cluster using a CMM w/ GPS?

I Have a new site going up w/ 2.4 and am waiting on a lmr 400 BNC connector to come in before turning on the GPS antenna sync pulse. Have 2 ap’s generating their own sync pulse mounted vertically on top of each other. One is producing high error rates the other is working great. This site is remote so I have not had a chance to do more spectrum sweeps. I suspect it is the fact that it is not timed or it maybe the fact they are mounted vertically to each other…this will change the next time I go up.

Jason Duncan
CableAmerica Corp.
480-461-6887 x222