AP rebooting. Interference? Please help.

Our network is in a valley with hills/mountains on three sides. We have 3 5.7 Advantage APs with 120 degree sectors(7.2.9 & 7.3.6), on three different mountain tops. The units are about 8 miles away from each other, but they all point down into the valley. We have another 5.7 Advantage AP omni (7.2.9) on a hill which is about 17 miles away from the closest AP. Fresnel zones are crossing to various degrees depending on terrain. All 4 APs are running 5840 frequency, the cleanest channel I can find for each AP.

We do not use CMMs, as there is only one AP on each mountain top, but I am wondering if that is a mistake. I have one AP location which reboots about once an hour, but on occasion will stay up for about 2 hours. The clients all work fantastic while the AP is up and running. There are currently 145 SMs on this AP. I have tried a new AP and a different firmware with the same result. I have replaced the cables as well. The other locations do not have this problem.

Should I be running CMMs at all sites?
Would interference cause an AP to reboot?
If the timing is generated on the AP, then why would the AP care about being in sync with anything else?
Can the SMs cause an AP to reboot?

I am thinking about putting 8.1 on the AP, but since all of our clients are NAT, I cannot upgrade the SMs. Do the clients have to run 8.1 to connect to an AP running 8.1?

Thanks for any help,
Darren

Start with trying to get each AP on it’s own frequency - you have 6 non-overlapping channels to work with. Each AP should have it’s own color code. Each AP’s child SM’s should have the same color code and all of the frequencies checked. This allows you to change channels on the AP without having to go to each SM and change the frequency since the SM’s follow the AP color code.

All AP’s need to be configured with the same Max Distance, Downlink %, and Control Slots.

As far as sync, it’s the special sause in a Canopy network. Without it, it will never be the best it can be. Since it’s only one AP per site, you could use syncpipes from packetflux.com rather than CMM’s. The AP generates sync on it’s own timing, and is not on the same pulse as the other AP’s generating their own sync. GPS provides a common master clock for all of the AP’s. If you have another operator in your area with 5.7, you need to get them to get sync’d as well.

Errors due to timing will fill up the buffers and eventually make the AP reboot.

Hold on 8.1 until you get your network stable, and the snow melts. Now is not the time to experiment with new software - May or June.

Thanks Jerry. The AP has been up for 21 hours without rebooting.

All AP’s need to be configured with the same Max Distance, Downlink %, and Control Slots.
I did make this change as well.

Errors due to timing will fill up the buffers and eventually make the AP reboot.
So the Canopy APs send/recieve timing can get errors from any other radio on the same freq? Or just other Canopy radios?

Thanks for your help.

Darren