AP Sensing Phantom Default Plug!

Not sure if anyone has experienced this or not. I had to reboot a 900 AP this AM, and after the reboot I could not talk to it anymore. I tried a ton of stuff to no avail, and then I thought may be somehow it was zapped and is now a virgin radio, so I typed in the old 169.254.1.1 and there it was! But then I noticed that the programming is still there, but it says right at the top that the default plug overrides all programming, etc. I tried setting it to factory default and then reprogramming it, and it saves the programming just fine, but I reboot it and it still thinks there is a default plug on there, so it is not operational.

So 2 questions:

1. Has anyone seen this before? Could condensation cause the pins in the RJ-11 jack to perhaps short such that the radio senses a plug in there? This AP is on a tower on top of a mountain in Colorado at about 12,000 feet, so weather is definitely an issue, but we have had many radios up there for years w/o any problems. This is a connectorized radio, so the door fitting on it is tighter than the integrated 900’s, but of course it is not waterproof, so I suppose condensation is a possibility?

2. I already asked this from Moto, but I thought someone else here may know something. There does not seem to be a way via some sort of backdoor command via telnet to tell the radio to disregard a default plug. Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

I am hoping that may be if it is condensation, that it may dry up by itself (but of course it is cloudy and rainy today!). Otherwise I am on a 6 wheeler ATV tomorrow at 7 AM working my way up to the tower…

have run into this while using a sync pipe to time the ap.had to reboot the unit to factory defaults while telling it to generate sync once i did that was able to reconfigure and reboot

my guess is a short, like humidity in the housing

joennc wrote:
have run into this while using a sync pipe to time the ap.had to reboot the unit to factory defaults while telling it to generate sync once i did that was able to reconfigure and reboot

Well, that's very interesting. I did not even mention that because I did not think there was a correlation, but the reason why I had to reboot the AP was that although the CMM was receiving sync, the radio showed that it was not receiving sync . This was one of 2 radios that was doing this. So in order to fix the problem temporarily, I logged into both AP's and changed them to Generate Sync so I could get the SM's back up until I could figure out what the problem was. So one of the AP's restarted fine, but this one, upon restart went into this default plug mode.

I've tried everything and no matter what I do it is stuck in that mode. I have changed the sync mode and the radio saves the changes, but it is still inoperable upon restart because it goes into default plug mode.

It has been pouring rain here since last night and does not look like it is letting up anytime soon, so I don't think I will be heading up to the tower this AM. Still hoping that I can get it to work remotely, but it is not looking good so far.

If the AP detects a low on pin 4 it will come up in override. Cut the RJ11 at the AP and only terminate Pins 1, 2, 3, and 6. If it still comes up in default the AP is bad.

Thanks everyone. Just got back from an interesting trip up to the tower. Mystery solved! Somehow the radio had come loose and was hanging upside down, which of course meant that it was pretty much full of water. I am amazed that it had not completely shorted itself out. There was quite a bit of water in there.

Fortunately I had a spare AP with me and could quickly switch things out, because there was no way to dry the old AP out at the site. It started raining, then hailing and then thunder and lightening, which meant we had to get the hell out of there!

etech wrote:
Thanks everyone. Just got back from an interesting trip up to the tower. Mystery solved! Somehow the radio had come loose and was hanging upside down

which is why we always mount our AP's with Alligator clamps & 100 lb zip ties just to be sure.
VLAN1 wrote:
[quote="etech":2yo0tuy9]Thanks everyone. Just got back from an interesting trip up to the tower. Mystery solved! Somehow the radio had come loose and was hanging upside down

which is why we always mount our AP's with Alligator clamps & 100 lb zip ties just to be sure.[/quote:2yo0tuy9]

Yeah, I am trying to find out what the history was with this installation. I have a feeling someone used zip ties temporarily while they were setting up the radio and then forgot to attach it properly. I think it lasted up there for 2 years with just 2 zip ties, and they must have finally broken off this winter.... If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself! ;-)
etech wrote:

Yeah, I am trying to find out what the history was with this installation. I have a feeling someone used zip ties temporarily while they were setting up the radio and then forgot to attach it properly. I think it lasted up there for 2 years with just 2 zip ties, and they must have finally broken off this winter.... If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself! ;-)

your telling me. we had contractors climb and install a really large cluster one time (they were connectorized canopy AP's) . We climbed ourselves a couple months later to make some changes and while the panels were mounted securely, the lazy SOB's had simply taped the radios themselves to the tower legs! Needless to say, we dont use them anymore.