AP serving more than 7 Mbps aggregate without advantage SM

I have the following scenario:

One Advantage AP 5400 is serving about 90 non advantage SMs
Radio Settings: Max Range: 15 miles, Downlink Data: 75%, Control Slots: 2

Almost the SM are connected with a signal within range -70 to -77 db, jitter 0-5

On all the SM the setting “2X rate” is set to disabled.

When the AP is saturated, the DL bandwidth reachs about 5 Mbps. The aggregate BW is about 7 Mbps, as expected.

Question: How can I have my AP serving more than 7 Mbps aggregate without buying Advantage SM?

What if I enable “2X rate”? Do I have to expect to overcome 7 Mbps limit on the AP?
If so, do I need to have a stronger signal on my SM? How strong?
And what if I have, let’s say, half of SM runing 1X and half running 2X?
I have read the Moto doc but it’s not so clear about that…

Thanks
Massimo

Non-Adv SM in 2x mode connected to an Adv AP will burst to 14Mbps. Keep in mind you need to be at least 10dB above the noise floor to maintain a 2x link. Jitter will likely jump up to 7-9 which is acceptable. Run a link test (shoot for >80%) to see aggregate throughput. Having a mixture of SM in 1x/2x mode is not a problem; however 2x is more efficient.

Thanks jwelch.
Actually I’m not interested on increasing single burst speed (as the peak SM speed is limited to 2 Mbps) but I would like to ditribute more bandwidth on the AP sector, since it’s currently 7 mbps… not enough to serve 90 SM at peak hours.
So, if the 2X SM are running their burst speed, will they use some more bandwidth over 7Mbps on the AP?

BTW, my SM QoS settings are the followings:

Sustained Uplink Data Rate : 128 kbps
Sustained Downlink Data Rate : 1024 kbps
Uplink Burst Allocation : 160000 kbits
Downlink Burst Allocation : 500000 kbits

However, every connection is limited to 2048/256 Kbps on the edge router (Mikrotik RB1000).

Without purchasing Advantage SMs, this is not possible. 2X modulation full time requires both an Advantage AP and Advantage SMs.

As jwelch pointed out, the best you will achieve is 14Mb burst. This will likely help some with your load but will not be the solution you are looking for.

When the AP is saturated, the DL bandwidth reachs about 5 Mbps. The aggregate BW is about 7 Mbps, as expected.

How much b/w is your backhaul able to provide the AP? If you're only seeing 7Mbps on the AP then 2x does not appear to be enabled. With 2x enabled you should see 14Mbps aggregate when you run a link test. Enable 2x on the AP and all SM's that are capable of maintaining a solid link to increase efficiency and lessen AP overhead.

How many outdiscards do you have under the AP's statistics > radio tab? What are you using to monitor b/w usage? 75% d/l is ~5Mbps. Honestly with your QOS settings static across the board (per your OP) you may want to consider adding another AP.

14mbps is a theoric max trouput for an advantage AP. You will need:
1.- 100% of traffic to be packets of 1512kB
2.- 100% of the registered SMs running at 2x(standard SMs)

We normaly put 8 mbps agregate on an advantage AP with around 50-60 SM (we dont sale residencial market)
This was for P9 AP, maybe for P10 is a little more…

jwelch wrote:
How much b/w is your backhaul able to provide the AP? If you're only seeing 7Mbps on the AP then 2x does not appear to be enabled. With 2x enabled you should see 14Mbps aggregate when you run a link test. Enable 2x on the AP and all SM's that are capable of maintaining a solid link to increase efficiency and lessen AP overhead.

As I previously wrote:
On all the SM the setting "2X rate" is set to disabled.

So right now I cant' really expect more than 7 Mbps aggregate on the AP (about 5.25 down + 1.75 up).
My question was: can I increase that aggregate bandwidth by enabling 2X on AP & SM and (of course) supposing that some of my SM will really use 2X mode?

Another scenario:
Imagine that I have 5 SM connected in 2X mode, downloading simultaneously 2 Mbps each.
When they start in bursting (so, before "sustained QoS" will occur limiting them), can they achieve 10 Mbps in total on the AP for awhile?
And what if 2 SM are "1X mode" and 3 SM are "2x mode"? Total bandwidth will be less than 10 Mbps?
BigTrumpet wrote:
As I previously wrote:
On all the SM the setting "2X rate" is set to disabled.

I understand that you have 2x disabled on the SM's, and my previous comment was geared towards your Adv AP that is limited to 7mbps aggregate.
jwelch wrote:

I understand that you have 2x disabled on the SM's, and my previous comment was geared towards your Adv AP that is limited to 7mbps aggregate.

ok, I'll try your suggestion, thanks.
I've just enabled 2X on some of the SM with strongest signal (>-72 db). Some of them show now 2X/2X on the status page, some others 2X/1X.
I guess the last ones have a too weak RF link.
I will monitor bandwidth usage on the AP (via SNMP) and see if it will increase a little...
Ciao!