Ask the Experts - cnMaestro November 04

Manage your network with one system. cnMaestro™ is a platform that is available in the cloud or deployable on premise, built from the ground up for secure, end-to-end network lifecycle management: inventory management, onboarding devices, daily operations and maintenance. 

Our development and product management team will respond to your questions in this special live session on November 04. 

Ask us Anything about cnMaestro and find out about

• Network discovery and provisioning
  • Monitoring
  • End-to-end management

Participating is easy. Just login and join this thread at any or all of the following times on Wednesday, November 4th:

• 8 - 9 am CDT
  • 1 – 3 pm CDT
  • 9 - 10 pm CDT

Pass this information to your colleagues. If you are not yet a member of the Cambium Community, join at http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/ by using the link in the top right corner.

We look forward to the discussion and meeting with you. Add the session to your outlook calendar by clicking on the attachment below:

2 Likes

Our Experts will be on line in 30 minutes. You can start posting your questions now.

Are there plans  to add scheduled spectrum analyser to the stations?
The idea being we schedule a network-wide spectrum scan, overlay them, and pick a channel that is best for most stations?
Maybe do that using the ACS tool, but spectrum analyser would be better.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It is something we have been discussing.  Is it sufficient to run the spectrum analysis on the APs only or is it also important to have the SM spectrum analysis data in the network-wide view your are asking for ?

Can the cnPilot routers work with cnMaestro and another provisioning service at the same time?

Specifically, if I use a provisioning server for VoIP credentials for all of my ATAs (including non cnPilot devices), can I use that to control only the VoIP settings on a cnPilot, and use cnMaestro to run the network settings?

@Cambium_Emilio
A per-AP analysis can be done manually.

The manager would come in very handy in the labor-intensive task of scanning every CPE so that we can identify local interference // customer wi-fi routers interfering // overlaying 40 different spectrum charts to find the best overall channel.

@Cambium_Emilio wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  It is something we have been discussing.  Is it sufficient to run the spectrum analysis on the APs only or is it also important to have the SM spectrum analysis data in the network-wide view your are asking for ?

Re-reading the original question which implies running spectrum analysis on the SMs.  The suggestion is a good one.  We will consider it.

1 Like

@uberdome wrote:

Can the cnPilot routers work with cnMaestro and another provisioning service at the same time?

Specifically, if I use a provisioning server for VoIP credentials for all of my ATAs (including non cnPilot devices), can I use that to control only the VoIP settings on a cnPilot, and use cnMaestro to run the network settings?

cnMaestro implements template based configuraton. For cnPilot R200/R201, the configuration file pushed by cnMaestro is merged with the configuration of the device. So if the template does not contain ATA relates settings, it will not chnage what is already configured.

However, we are working towards adding GUI for the configuration template so you don't have to manage it as text files. We will add RADIUS or API based interface on cnMaestro to get customer specific parameters from external system, but you will lose the ability to arbitrarily use other provisioning systems to manage parts of config.

What provisioning tool are you using to configure the ATA portion, and how does it talk to the device today?

@Rajesh_V wrote:

cnMaestro implements template based configuraton. For cnPilot R200/R201, the configuration file pushed by cnMaestro is merged with the configuration of the device. So if the template does not contain ATA relates settings, it will not chnage what is already configured.

Great! I'll work on some new templates.

@Rajesh_V wrote:

...we are working towards adding GUI for the configuration template so you don't have to manage it as text files. We will add RADIUS or API based interface on cnMaestro to get customer specific parameters from external system, but you will lose the ability to arbitrarily use other provisioning systems to manage parts of config.

After thinking a bit, I'd like to see the ability to have standard provisioning continue to work by somehow allowing settings to remain unchanged when using the new GUI system.

@Rajesh_V wrote:

What provisioning tool are you using to configure the ATA portion, and how does it talk to the device today?

For VoIP provisioning, I'm just using a custom server hosting text files through http and https. I'll have to continue using it at least for provisioning of all my non cnPilot devices, so it will be very nice if I can integrate it with cnMaestro.

It would be very useful to use the API to poll an existing provisioning system to fill out the VoIP credentials (or others if necessary). That way, anyone with an existing provisioning service could tie it to the cnMaestro service.

I would also like the ability to set defaults on a system, but allow user-configurable options to remain unchanged when pushing a new configuration (poll device to change stored variables?).

Our development team will be joining shortly. Please post your questions to this thread.