AVoIP Switches, Could CNMatrix do it

I am facing a lot of pushing by Sales to Use Netgear AV Switches. They have built in profiles for Audio Video over IP. Which when I look at it… looks like Multicast routing with IGMP snooping.

One of the companies we “work with” has started using Those Netgear Switches as their network switches as well. So they only have the one interface to deal with and SKUs.

Could/Would the CNMatrix Switches be able to “use their autodetection” to ID AVoIP devices? Then set up IGMP and keep that traffic where it belongs?

Confession… we don’t currently use CNMatrix switches as our price sheets were built on Ubiquiti EdgeSwitches. So that price jump made everyone choke. but the new sales guy has no issue with “using a 1800 dollar switch I can’t get shopped on, even if the 400 dollar one does the job!” (This is what I deal with) while the CTO is yelling at me… “Didn’t we spec a $400 switch on that? I know that you got $1800… but the cost was 1250. 3 times what it took to get the job done.” (I sat their shrugging my shoulders pointing to the salesman.)

I dont think so. The is so many missed parametrs for AV systems. I have one installation with cambium switches, working fine but with Netgear is five times faster :slight_smile:

@PFR So stick with my usual switches for network and only add on Netgear for the AVoIP devices when needed?

Hi Springs, you may want to look at our cnMatrix user guide page 196 at the below link to see how our Automated VoIP support could meet your needs.

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/file/ddca3b398f1fb0cdf87ca20579cf9732c1ec462b

• Automated VoIP support
    • With the introduction of the Automatic VoIP Configuration PBA action option, standard PBA operation can be used to identify connected VoIP devices and configure voice-related settings. When a PBA action is created/updated and the Automatic VoIP Configuration (Auto-VoIP) option is enabled, certain action options are automatically updated based on the current global voice VLAN settings:

1. VLAN list – contains the voice VLAN and the data VLAN (if defined).
      2. Native VLAN – set based on the voice/data VLAN tagging status.
      3. Switch Port Mode – VoIP device ports are configured as Hybrid.
      4. QoS Trust – VoIP device ports are configured as ‘dot1p’ trusted.
      5. Uplink list – contains the voice VLAN uplink interface (if defined).
    • If the user configures a value for any of these options, the value is overwritten based on the current global voice VLAN settings or the required VoIP device port setting:

% Warning: Auto-VoIP PBA actions use global voice VLAN settings

• All other PBA options may be specified (based on platform applicability). A PBA Auto-VoIP policy (i.e., a PBA policy that references a PBA action with Auto-VoIP configuration enabled) is considered non-applicable/not-ready if the required global voice VLAN settings (i.e., the designated voice VLAN) are not defined.

He askied about AVoverIP it’s mean AudioVideo not Voice.
There are o lot parameters to be set on to do this.
In Cambium sometimes is a huge probem to set all parameters as producer required. In Netgear there is a special GUI dedicated for AV. U choose producer and everythink will set as required. Simple and easy. Additional life time guarantee (not 3-5 years) and LAN ports on the back it is much more comfortabe in the AV instalation :slight_smile:
This is my opinion :slight_smile:

Hi, my understanding is that AVoverIP is using IP Multicast technology for streaming video and audio to the receivers. To this end, our switch supports IGMP snooping and querier to allow streaming multicast between sender (encoder) and receivers (decoder) in a flat network (within the same VLAN). When sender and receivers are on different VLANs, multicast routing protocol such as PIM is required. PIM is in the roadmap for some cnMatrix models. Our switch also supports various QoS configuration to ensure the traffic is being forwarded with proper priority. Please let us know of other configuration or requirements are there to support AVoverIP through cnMatrix. Thanks.

Look here

And here
https://service.shure.com/s/article/Configuring-a-Netgear-M4250-Switch-for-Shure-Devices-and-Dante-AES67?language=en_US
There are also a lot of othere parameters required by other protocols.
Sometimes in cambium is too high or too low.