Backbone bandwidth Optimization question.

Hi:
I have a very big Wireless LAN (actually 150 suscriptors, but soon I will reach bout 3000). The main point to point backhaul system is composed by Motorola Canopy BP5730BH-2BB (60 Mbps) in the central structure and 5700BHRF20BC (20 Mbps) for the terminal links.

The question is
a) How can I properly use backhaul bandwith to 3000 clients? I mean if I have 100 clients at 256 kbps then I will be using 25600 Kbps (100 x 256 kbps) of bandwidth. How can i fix this?

b) How much Internet bandwidth do I need? (Connection given by external ISP to me)
c) Do I need some extra device to control this functions??

Thanks a lot for the answers, are really useful.

Your plan will work great. You will never have 3000 customers downloading at full speed at the same time. This means you can oversubscribe. Here is a definition on Oversubscription: http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi … bscription

Personally I think that you can oversubscribe more than 20:1. You will be monitoring the router using PRTG or something like it. When you saturate, then it’s time to add more bandwidth. You would be stunned at what one T1 can handle.

There are three ways to get bandwidth.

1. Data center:
Data Centers are the most scalable. You can start with 1-2 megs for your 100 subs, and as you add subs, you can just ask for more bandwidth on demand (we pay 200/Meg because there are no local loops). You would also COLO your head end there with redundant power, controlled temp, etc.

2. Carriers’ carrier.
If you can’t get access to a COLO, then look for a provider that can give you a wireless connection from a nearby city. They are out there, selling to the Carriers (these are the Cariers’ Carrier). You will have to buy a pair of radios and they are not cheap. The advantage is no local loop, and again it is scalable so you can ask for more bandwidth on demand.

3. Telco:
Start with a single T1 for your 100 subs. As you add users, order additional T1’s. A Cisco 3600 can support 4ea T1’s for a total of 6M. If you actually overload the 4ea T1’s then you can order a fractional DS3 for about the same cost as the 4ea T1’s and get 10M. Then you can scale from there up to 45M. Router upgrade would be required as well.

Hope this helps.

I had no idea about OverSubscription details, thanks for it. I will study more about how OverSubscription applies to wireless ISP’s.

Someone told me I would use a device called “multiplexor” wich will distribute bandwidth in equal parts and so I could use 1 Mbps (for example) on many subscribers without having significant problems, what about this??

Jerry Richardson wrote:

There are three ways to get bandwidth.

1. Data center:
Data Centers are the most scalable. You can start with 1-2 megs for your 100 subs, and as you add subs, you can just ask for more bandwidth on demand (we pay 200/Meg because there are no local loops). You would also COLO your head end there with redundant power, controlled temp, etc.

2. Carriers' carrier.
If you can't get access to a COLO, then look for a provider that can give you a wireless connection from a nearby city. They are out there, selling to the Carriers (these are the Cariers' Carrier). You will have to buy a pair of radios and they are not cheap. The advantage is no local loop, and again it is scalable so you can ask for more bandwidth on demand.

3. Telco:
Start with a single T1 for your 100 subs. As you add users, order additional T1's. A Cisco 3600 can support 4ea T1's for a total of 6M. If you actually overload the 4ea T1's then you can order a fractional DS3 for about the same cost as the 4ea T1's and get 10M. Then you can scale from there up to 45M. Router upgrade would be required as well.

Hope this helps.

Surely this helps me a lot, because here (in Chile) there is no information at all about Canopy issues. But I would ask you for more detailed explanation about previous 3 points you said please.
What is a "COLO"?
What do you mean with "Local Loop"?
I don't know what is 4ea and DS3.
Thanks in advance !

COLO is where you are locating your equipment in a central ofice where there is access to the internet, typically a higher speed connection. You pay rent to house your equipment there, and connect your equipment to their backbone.

I don;t know how it works in Chile, but in the US, you have to pay a fee to the local Telco that is dependent on your distance from the Central Office. This fee is over and above whatever fee you are paying for your T1 internet access.

4ea means Quantity = 4

DS3 is similar to a T1, but can provide up to 45Mbps. Check with the larger Internet Service providers to find out what services are available.