BAM 2 Lunux Requirements

Hi, Can someone tell me if BAM 2 will run on the workstation version of RedHat Enterprise. This is oviously cheaper than the full blown server version.
I am trying to keep prices down while I setup a test system.

I cant answer your question directly, but I have successfully installed BAM 2.0 on debian unstable. And I have nearly installed it on gentoo (just havent put in the tweaking time yet to get the engine running). So I believe you can get it to install on any distro with enough work.

So it becomes a time vs money debate.

Matt

Any information on what tweaks you may of made would be great.
I would prefer to run the system on a FreeBSD box as I have one available.

You are not going to get it to run on freeBSD, because it requires a linux kernel to run correctly. The tweaks are rip the rpm package apart and install each piece file by file, making necessary tweaks to system files and such one step at a time. A different version of just about any linux distro will require many different tweaks. The main tweaks are the start and stop scripts, and making sure your kernel is compatable.

I see from the other posts that BAM 2.0 must be installed on a RHEL 3.0. Has anyone tried it on Red Hat 9 server? I have a copy of this Red Hat and will have to purchase BAM 2.0 to secure my Canopy network in the very near future. Any advise out there about this idea? Thanks.

icemannz wrote:
Hi, Can someone tell me if BAM 2 will run on the workstation version of RedHat Enterprise. This is oviously cheaper than the full blown server version.
I am trying to keep prices down while I setup a test system.

Yes it will work

I have managed recently to get BAM2 working on Fedora Core2, it took a few attempts to get working though.

icemannz wrote:
Any information on what tweaks you may of made would be great.
I would prefer to run the system on a FreeBSD box as I have one available.

I got the next result when i try to run it on FreeBSd 5.3 with linuxator:
/usr/local/canopy/usr/sbin/engined: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2.2' not found (required by /usr/local/canopy/usr/sbin/engined)
(
:-(

If bam2.0 was linked staticly I think I can run it.

If anyone has gotten it to work with Redhat 9 and had to change some things, could you please post those changes here? I am right in the middle of trying to get it to work. Currently I’m getting an ISQL error:

[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

after I issued the command: isql mysql canopy canopy

command per the directions on page 73 of the bam user guide.

Thanks

Scott MacDonald
Regional Internet Media Inc

Hi,

I’m installing it on FC3, i’ve manged to get it all working but I am know having problems logging in via the web pages.

Make sure your license server is working correclty before u try installing the BAM. Make sure you have the appropriate packages installed.

Make sure the SQL service is funning from services manager and it should work. I didn’t do anything different for the SQL.

Let me know how you get on.

Rgds

mattmann72 wrote:
I cant answer your question directly, but I have successfully installed BAM 2.0 on debian unstable.

We're using Debian Sarge for most things. Can you comment on what issues you ran into?

RH9 is no longer supported by redhat, i don’t think they’re even allowing updates through their up2date system anymore. honestly it would be a good decision to use FC2 or FC3 instead, since they’ll have a newer kernel and will have many security fixes. check your version of MySQL ande the location of the packages, it seems like that might be the issue getting BAM connected to the database

In your setup evertime you use “localhost” for an address change it <IP ADDRESS>, I had db connection problems but much later then you and was fixed by the above.

Good luck.

You can run BAM 2.0 on pretty much any linux distro. I don’t know why the requirements are for RHEL3.0 because there really is nothing specific about RHEL3.0 that BAM needs. I have it running on Fedora Core 2 and it works just fine. It won’t work without modifying it though… there are packages that come with RHEL3.0 that don’t come with some other distros. All packages that the BAM requires can be downloaded for free though. I think the main thing about BAM 2.0 and why it was such a change from the first one is that it requires newer ODBC drivers (probably so motorola can migrate it to Windows at some point). I guess the code isn’t MySQL specific anymore like it used to be. You can ask me any questions you want and I’ll help you out.

True, BAM is not really E3 dependant but I guess it gives Motorola support an excuse to get out of helping you out.

I had the infamous problem of License Manager and needing X-server to run it… Support said that it was down me using F3.

You just need to be patient and start to look into scripts, usually its just paths u need to adjust and certain command options are slightly different.

Good luck

Tx