Benefit of Advantage AP

I feel that the documentation about advantage is a little lacking so I pose this question here: What is the benefit, if any, to running advantage APs if you aren’t running any advantage SMs?

By advantage I’m referring to the actual software upgrade, not just the use of P9 hardware.

That’s a good question… As far as I can tell, none over and above the hardware scheduling of P9 boards…

My 2 cents,
The Advantage Cyclones are stronger seem 5db accross the board. Lower ping times. Even the p-8s will get 4meg down and 2meg up after the upgrade.

:lol: I like it.

With Advantage AP + Advantage SM you get HW Scheduling + 14M sustained

With Advantage AP + P9 SM you get HW scheduling + 7M aggregate/14M bursting.

With Advantage AP + pre-P9 SM you get HW scheduling + 7M Aggregate

Hope that helps

1. You Da Man Jerry!! I just knew I liked it
Jerry Richardson wrote:
With Advantage AP + Advantage SM you get HW Scheduling + 14M sustained

With Advantage AP + P9 SM you get HW scheduling + 7M aggregate/14M bursting.

With Advantage AP + pre-P9 SM you get HW scheduling + 7M Aggregate

Hope that helps

Thanks for the help, here are a couple followup questions:

What does P9 AP + P9 SM get you? Just the 7M aggregate?

Also, does the lowered latency come from advantage software, P9, or hardware scheduling?

All of the above.
Advantage is just better.

Juan Marriott

moinavery wrote:
All of the above.
Advantage is just better.

Juan Marriott

You really didn't answer the question here...

1.- AP P9+SM P9 get you 7MB agregate, but using HardwareS. is more stable than Soft.S

2.- The lower latency comes from Hardware S. running on Advantage AP.
If you ask that if the AP P9 board is the same as the Advantage AP board, yes.
So the lower latency comes from the advantage software.

The original poster really was right on…

>>What is the benefit, if any, to running advantage APs if you aren’t running any advantage SMs?

If you aren’t running Advantage SMs, to do the “2x multiplier” with the Advantage AP… there is no benefit (given that we’re talking about P9 boards)

KiBBS wrote:
The original poster really *was* right on..

>>What is the benefit, if any, to running advantage APs if you aren't running any advantage SMs?

If you aren't running Advantage SMs, to do the "2x multiplier" with the Advantage AP... there is no benefit (given that we're talking about P9 boards)

That actually goes against what Jerry Richardson said when he stated that "With Advantage AP + P9 SM you get HW scheduling + 7M aggregate/14M bursting."

I think the problem is that people on here and even Motorola use the term "advantage" to mean both P9 hardware and P9 hardware + advantage software upgrade.

I forgot, Advantage AP can handle 14 MB traficc passing thru (depending type of traficc); Normal AP only 7.

But for me, I upgraded to advantage to be able to use lite SM’s

Juan Marriott

We moved to Advantage for two reasons:
1. We had alot of P8 SM’s out there that we did not want to replace. In order to use P8 SM’s in HW mode you need Advantage AP’s.

2. We made the decision to stop selling residential services and focus solely on business customers. In order to ensure that our network would provide the best possible performance, stability, and throughput we chose to step up to Advantage.

It’s not a must, but it is a good idea. You can get away with P9 AP’s and probably do fine as long as all of your SM’s are P9. We wanted to make sure we can stay competetive for the next 3 years.

>>1. We had alot of P8 SM’s out there that we did not want to replace. In order to use P8 SM’s in HW mode you need Advantage AP’s.

Is this the case? I was told differently by my reseller (Essentially that you could run HW scheduling w/ P8 SMs as long as your AP is P9)

To run Hardware S. just need to have a P9 AP
I have a couple of AP P9 running HS. No matter sm are P8 or P9

Juan Marriott

My mistake - thanks for clarifying that.

we are moving to Advantage Ap’s cos the lites are cheaper :slight_smile:

Jerry I agree that residential are a pain in the butt… .but when it comes to valuing your company the number of subscribers has a lot to do with it…

Also it gives the company stability…

There are a million and one reasons why you should stay away from them, but in the long run they do add benefit… I would say if possible cope with the over demanding under paying so and so’s

NO! You can’t make me, I won’t do it!!!