best firmware for 2.4?

I've generally been keeping all our 2.4GHz ePMP gear on firmware version 3.5.6, while for 5GHz I've updated past that point(to at least 4.5).

Is there anything in later versions that would benefit a 2.4GHz radio?  My understanding has been that mostly everything that's changed in later versions had to do with interconnection of -N and -AC based 5GHz, bugfixes and tweaks to the same, and MU-MIMO stuff...

j

1 Like

We use 4.5 on all of our ePMP radios (e1k, e2k, e3k). For 2.4GHz it gives a bit higher performance by enabling short GI.

While we're using 4.5 on hundreds of e1k/e2k radios and are not experiencing any issues, I'm sure some operators will chime in here with the opposite experience. So if you do decide to use 4.5 on e1k/e2k... test it one sector first.

2 Likes

Using 4.4.3 on all of our 2.4. Stable and see around 10+% increase in overall throughput due to short GI and possibly some other tweaks Cambium threw into the software.

1 Like

4.4.3 seems to work pretty good on ePMP 1000/2000  can't think of any issues, haven't tried 4.5.anything yet other than on some 3000/L AP's.  Though honestly still running 3.4.1 on the few 2.4Ghz AP's we have because we still have some elevate radios on them and when it comes to the elevated Ubiquitis' I'm all about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

We had issues with sessioning on ePMP 2.4 when 4.4.2 was initially released, so reverted to 3.5.5 and have stayed there since. Our 5G ePMP deployments are all running 4.6.1
Does 4.6.1 support ePMP 2.4? If not, what is the recommended firmware for ePMP 2.4 in 2022 with no elevated clients?

We stayed on 3.5.6 on our 2.4 for quite a while. We figured “not broke, don’t fix”. But eventually there was a few features (slightly more useful GUI display things) which were preferential, and we moved to 4.6.2 and have everything on that (except for our 4.7-RC beta test sites on 3000/F300)

1 Like

We use 4.6.2 on all of our ePMP 2.4.

1 Like

We have stopped at 4.6.1 for now. We are testing the 4.7-RC14 beta on select devices to check it out in the field but as of now we are not confident in it.

1 Like

Sounds like I will be working to update our ePMP 2.4 equipment next week. Thank you all for the replies!

2 Likes

We have our 2.4 all on 4.6.2 for awhile and have had no issues. Supposedly a touch more throughput than 3.5.6, but it doesn’t appear to be significant, but no weirdness or stability issues. Would still love to see something new in the 2.4 areana but if I was holding my beath, I would be dead, LOL

1 Like

4.6.x has ‘short GI’ on ‘N’ gear, and I’ve measured back and forth vs 3.5.6 - it seems to make a small but noticeable benefit I think. I mean, 5%-10% for free is cool.

Yeah, sadly seems so. :cry: I could understand their reasoning with AC gear, because no 2.4ghz commodity chipset was really made, but with AX gear there is apparently a 2.4 ghz spec, and so it’s very disappointment not to have any sniff of interest from Cambium to fill our need for 2.4ghz gear which can shoot through a few trees.

1 Like