Best practices/config for EPMP AP / Client setup

Good evening all,

So I have outfitted my first tower with Cambium gear and so far the results have been impressive.

I've done my naming, frequency scans, set my passwords, power options, etc

But there are some other options that I'm unfamiliar with, can anyone explain the best case scenario for each option?

• What is 'alternate frequency carrier' utilized for, special circumstances?
  • When I went through the quick start, put in the password, it automatically associated with my AP.  I guess that's a cool feature, but is it supposed to do that?  I looked under detected AP's and didn't see any others.  If I did, would it just select the best one?  I see that you can set preferences, but would you  need to do that for every install?
  • How do you deal with max range when setting the AP, if there is no autodetect do you just watch the connected clients and adjust accordingly?  How often should that be monitored and if one sets it to the max distance, of lets say 12 miles, is that bad?
  • Any other settinngs or tweaks I should be made aware of?

Thanks for your feedback,

Ryo

Ryo,

I am attaching a brief optimization guide that may help you with some of your questions. In addition, here are some answers to your points you bring up - 

- Alternate frequency has to do with DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) which is required if you are operating in a region where Radar detection is a regulatory requirement for the frequency you are operating in. The alternate frequency is selected by the AP when it detects energy (Radar) in the primary frequency

-if the password is the same as the one set on your AP then the SM will authenticate with that AP. You are not seeing any other AP which is ok as well. In the event when you do see multiple APs, the algorithm looks for the AP with the best RSSI and SNR and then goes to check authentication settings. There is a feature called preferred AP where you can pre-populate the APs you want the SM to connect to in the order of priority. This is a good feature to use when you are carefully planning a network keeping self interference in mnd

-Please see attached for max range

Thanks

Sakid

3 Likes

Thanks for the response Sakid, I think that answered most of them.

I didn't see an attachment though, can you try again?

Where is the attachment?

Ryo,

Attachment has been included into Sakid's message.

Please bear with us as we work out the bumps and holes with the new forum.

That's some great info, thanks Sakid.

My friend is good guide my friend ?  =) 

wish someone in sales had given me this document a year ago - in frustration i have given up on 5ghz equipment as it seems all i can get configured to work is 2.4 which i guess is not being developed any futher.  cambuim makes good hardware but the support has been better on facebook wisp talk than here on this company forum.

@Mark_Brown wrote:

wish someone in sales had given me this document a year ago - in frustration i have given up on 5ghz equipment as it seems all i can get configured to work is 2.4 which i guess is not being developed any futher.  cambuim makes good hardware but the support has been better on facebook wisp talk than here on this company forum.

A lot of these documents, how to videos, capacity planners, etc. can all be found in the ePMP Downloads section of the Cambium website. Have you taken a look at all these resources?

1 Like