BH10 Bandwidth Question

We have a 2 hop link from our POP to our main location using 2 BH10’s with the downlink set at 50%. When we first linked everything up it worked great, we have 2 T1’s bonded for 3mb total. Last week doing diffrent tests we could sustain 2.9mbps down and up. I installed an email server over the weekend and moved my other businesses email to it. It sees a fairly stready stream of traffic from spam attempts according to cacti the average is around 50k. So after I made the switch the highest we can get is 2.4mbps. So i changed the downlink % to 55% and now we are back to getting 2.9 like we should. So i guess my question is in real life is 7mbps aggregate not what you will actually acheive? Also one set show 7.1mbps on the link test and the other 6.5mbps with both reporting 100%.

Thanks,
Ben

With a BH10 set at 50% i would expect you to get about 4 megs up and 3 megs down from the Slave to the master.

With a 10Mb BH set at 50% It should test at about 3.5Mb each way. However you will never get that in actual useable data. You’ll be lucky to get 3mb each way, possibly less.

so with a small amount of steady traffic, you don’t think its unreasonable that I would see a drop to 2.4? I’m just trying to make sure there isn’t some other problem before we start selling service. Everything link tests at 100% everytime and I was able to get it back to 2.9 by adjusting the downlink %.

Thanks,
Ben

There are alot of factors that affect the speed and throughput of a wireless link. Such absorption, reflection, scattering, refraction, diffraction, attenuation, free space loss, multipath and even the packet size it’s self plays a large role in the amount of actual throughput you’ll get out of a link. For example…do a link test with 1500byte packets for 5 seconds and record the results, then do a link test using 64byte packets for 5 seconds, you’ll see a HUGE different in the amount of data that you can pass through the link.

my guess is that there is some voip or p2p traffic on that link…