Bits versus Bytes

I understand this is an odd question… but… I need to ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about because I keep getting false info

is 2000 Kbits (set for an sm’s download speed) the same as(or equivelant to) 2MB (MegaBytes)?

Thanks in advance for the oddness

Not MegaBytes. Its MegaBits!

8 Bits are on Byte.
1024 Bytes are one Kilobyte
1024 Kilobytes are one Megabyte

Thats the difference between Bits and Bytes.

So 2000 Kilobits are equal to 2 Megabit.
2 megabit = 256 kilobyte

I think that is about right.

Oddly enough, file sizes are measured in kilobytes while speed is measured in kilobits. So your marketing should be in kbps or Mbps. Marketing using only the M or Meg infers you mean bits.

Also, bits is indicated with a lower case b and bytes is indicated by a capital B

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes
Mb = megabits
MB = megabytes

I agree with you on the abbreviations… but on the SM Unit, speed for uplink and downlink are measured as such:
Sustained Uplink(and downlink) Data Rate (BAM): 2000 (kbit)

So… my question… to re-cap… am I giving my customer 2 MegaBYTES up and down like I am advertising, or is 2000 kbits not measuring up? I want to make sure that when I tell someone, “we give you 2MB up and down”, that 2000kbits is justifying the advertisement.

Thanks again for the quick response

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Oddly enough, file sizes are measured in kilobytes while speed is measured in kilobits. So your marketing should be in kbps or Mbps. Marketing using only the M or Meg infers you mean bits.

Also, bits is indicated with a lower case b and bytes is indicated by a capital B

kb = kilobits
kB = kilobytes
Mb = megabits
MB = megabytes

If your print uses the capital B you are inferring Bytes. So 2MB could technically be interpreted as 16Mbps. Some techie type could call you on it and you would have to honor it.

Set the radio in kbps and market in kbps or Mbps (or just k or M). This is standard practice.

heh… trying to stick to the example…
(please keep in mind that I am not authorized to change the radio settings)

is 2000 kbits as fast as 2 megabytes per second? This is really all I want to know. I want to know if 2000 kbits is as fast as 2 megabytes, because if it is, then we have no worries… but… if it isn’t… and it only equals a fraction of 2megabytes… then we need to change this because of a misunderstanding between bits bytes and whatever.

but for now…
is 2000 kilobits as fast as 2 megabytes… or does 2000 kbits = 0.244140625 megabytes?

or (in other words)

if I want an downlink of 2 MegaBytes per second, should I set the kbits to 16384 kilobits (kbits)?

Jerry Richardson wrote:
If your print uses the capital B you are inferring Bytes. So 2MB could technically be interpreted as 16Mbps. Some techie type could call you on it and you would have to honor it.

Set the radio in kbps and market in kbps or Mbps (or just k or M). This is standard practice.

I am not sure how many ways I can explain it. There are 8 bits in a byte so 2000 kbps is 1/8 the value of 2000 kBps

The standard radios only do 7 MegaBITS aggregate (up + down) and the Advantage radios only do 14 MegaBITS aggregate.

If you are going to sell 2 MegaBYTE (16 MegaBIT) connections, good luck with that.

Actually… that was closer to the answer I was looking for. So in other words… 2000 kbits is 1/8th of 2MB correct? (yes or no please)

This is what I’ve been trying to tell my ‘semi-admin’… but he believes that 2000 kbits is EQUAL to 2MegaBYTES. He doesn’t believe me because he is very stubborn and does not like to be proven wrong… especially were he has no faith in those below him.

I can’t get him to understand the difference between a bit and byte in other words

Jerry Richardson wrote:
I am not sure how many ways I can explain it. There are 8 bits in a byte so 2000 kbps is 1/8 the value of 2000 kBps

The standard radios only do 7 MegaBITS aggregate (up + down) and the Advantage radios only do 14 MegaBITS aggregate.

If you are going to sell 2 MegaBYTE (16 MegaBIT) connections, good luck with that.

yes

shad, show him this bit calculator:

http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/?input_amount=500000&input_units=kilobits&notation=legacy

Then maybe he’ll believe you.

Seems as though this is how I spend my extra ‘thinking’ time at work… trying to solve id10t errors because my superiors do not believe me.

I just want to thank you guys for your help. It’s things like this that tell me I should move forward before it all comes back.

Don’t let stubborness guide you… the world is always changing and you’d be suprised what the little guy is try to tell you.

Inefficiency is unacceptable in the world of 0’s and 1’s,
ShâD