Bridged SMs cnMaestro On-premise onboarding error. Opening port 443

First, please forgive my ignorance. 

We recently moved our cnMaestro to a new server. We have our SMs in bridge mode and are trying to connect them to cnMaestro. With our previous server, we were able to connect everything with just our Cambium ID and onboarding ID. I didn't set up the firewall or anything having to do with connecting to that server though. All the documentation I have read says that I need to open up port 443, but since the SMs don't have their own IP addresses, I don't know what the source address would be. Can anyone help?

Did you move from cloud to on-premises? 

With on-premises you only need to use the IP of the server.  If you went between on-premises, maybe you used to have Cambium ID based auth set before.  If nothing except the server has changed, I can't think of anything else.

Edit_______

Did you perform a server export/import? 

If you did, all the settings should have transferred over, so I don't know.

Hey Luis,

Both of them were on-premises. So that is what is confusing to me. We were used to putting in the IP on the other one already. Our APs all connected fine and our routers can connect just fine, but not the SMs.

The APs connect, but no SMs.  I'll have to think about that.

Again, no changes other than one server for another?  Same IP?  If the IP changed, Ithink the SM has to be rebooted in order to get the new info from the AP.

"We were used to putting in the IP on the other one already."

Where were you putting the IP - not sure I understand.

Not one the AP/SM side. The cnMaestro was a fresh install and a newer version. These are the device error logs I get. Is there an IP that the SMs are using that I don't know about? Maybe something to do with the LUID?

We were putting the IP address of the server in the cnMaestro URL spot. Attached is a picture of one of the ones that was connected to our old server.

Is the new server IP 10.101.1.111?

Try pinging that IP from the SM - 

The SMs have to have a management IP.  

Before we go too far down the rabbit hole, please verify no changes other than the physical box have been made.

If this is the case, it can't be anything other than a server config.

With the AP being able to onboard, perform a reboot of one of its SMs just to see what happens.

@dscifers

@dsciferswrote:

We were putting the IP address of the server in the cnMaestro URL spot. Attached is a picture of one of the ones that was connected to our old server.

Wait, you are putting the IP on the SM?  Clear the IP from the SM and Reboot.  The SM will go to the AP and get the IP.  If the AP is already connected, the SM should likewise connect. 

@dsciferswrote:

First, please forgive my ignorance. 

We recently moved our cnMaestro to a new server. We have our SMs in bridge mode and are trying to connect them to cnMaestro. With our previous server, we were able to connect everything with just our Cambium ID and onboarding ID. I didn't set up the firewall or anything having to do with connecting to that server though. All the documentation I have read says that I need to open up port 443, but since the SMs don't have their own IP addresses, I don't know what the source address would be. Can anyone help?

Back to the beggining!

Go back to the post about onboardind auth on the server.

You really should just call tech support - I'm drawing a blank and probably leading you astray.

They're pretty good and have you up in no time.

Yeah, I was on the phone with them for 2 hours. They were just looking around the SM, but never really could get anything done. They said I needed to open port 443, but could never tell me which IPs I was supposed to open it to. I'm using a Mikrotik as my network router, but I'm not sure what entry to make. I'm wondering if it may have to do with the LAN2 on the AP is done. It looks like for one of the APs I am trying to configure the LAN2 IP is 10.101.6.1 and the first IP of the SM (which you can't actually find anywhere on the SM) is 10.101.6.2.....so maybe I have to open port 443 for 10.101.6.0/24. I don't know though.  

Did you change the server IP from 208. to 10.?

You said the APs were connected, is that still the case?  Did you try pinging the 10. IP from the SM?  What was the result?  If the AP is connected, don't worry about ports.  Also did you clear all cnMaestro info from the SM and reboot?  

Are your customers passing traffic and cnMaestro management the only problem?

I'm willing to help, but I need to know all the changes you made.  first thing I really need to know is wheter or not you have a cnMaestro connected AP.  PM me if you want.

Just thought of something else.

Are you using IP Access Filtering?  Check the SM Configuration > Security page and make sure.  If you are, make sure the IP of the new server is listed. 

Hey Luis,

The server was at another site in Chicago somewhere and we cancelled that one so we could have it on a local server. The version of cnMaestro we have now is a VM and is a fresh out of the box install. Nothing special was done to it.

All the APs are connected to the cnMaestro. I’ve pinged the cnMaestro from the SMs and that works. When I clear the cnMaestro info from them and reboot, they pull the cnMaestro IP from the AP but still give the same errors from the picture I already posted.

All of our customers are passing traffic just fine. I can access all of the SMs through the AP just fine too. Connecting to cnMaestro is the only problem.

We aren’t using IP filtering either. I feel like we have a pretty basic setup. One thing is that we have NAT disabled and so it looks like the SMs IP addresses are derivatives of the LAN2 address in the APs. Thanks for your help and contributing brain power to this.

@dsciferswrote:
Hey Luis,

The server was at another site in Chicago somewhere and we cancelled that one so we could have it on a local server. The version of cnMaestro we have now is a VM and is a fresh out of the box install. Nothing special was done to it.

All the APs are connected to the cnMaestro. I’ve pinged the cnMaestro from the SMs and that works. When I clear the cnMaestro info from them and reboot, they pull the cnMaestro IP from the AP but still give the same errors from the picture I already posted.

All of our customers are passing traffic just fine. I can access all of the SMs through the AP just fine too. Connecting to cnMaestro is the only problem.

We aren’t using IP filtering either. I feel like we have a pretty basic setup. One thing is that we have NAT disabled and so it looks like the SMs IP addresses are derivatives of the LAN2 address in the APs. Thanks for your help and contributing brain power to this.

Don't understand.  If they are all private IPs, post the AP & SM IP pages.  

Here you go. 

The SM IPs are no good. What is your management IP scheme?  I would expect the SM to be on the same subnet as the AP.

This can't be the way they were set up before, is it?

Yeah, the IP scheme hasn't changed at all. I believe with the NAT off, it would be creating a management IP off of the LAN2 address set in the AP and I'm pretty sure because I can access the SM through the LAN2 + the LUID as the last octet (ex. 10.101.3.32). I just figured out the LAN2 part yesterday.

Hi ,

Could you please check the "Network Accessibility" settings in SM ( from SM webpage home->IP) , it should be set to public.

Thanks,

Subi

Please follow this KB article for PMP devices onboarding to cnMaestro.

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-Getting-Started/On-boarding-the-PMP-Devices-to-cnMaestro-Cloud-or-On-Premises/m-p/59728#M53 

Hi ,

Is your issue resolved after going through the replies from the Engineering team. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

KR.