Cacti

Charles

It’s been a couple of months, any reconsideration on sharing? When you share your work others will help improve it with ideas and code.

Adamb

Is there a way to setup Cacti so you only have to add the AP’s and then it will automatically find all the SM’s as they connect (and begin graphing all their information as well)?

Having to manually add each new customer will be a huge pain… the system we have now for our “other” wireless will do this for us. :slight_smile:

You find a way to do that, please let me know!!!

I think ther eis a way to use the discovery tool (set up a subnet and scan), but I have not figured that out yet.

Thanks
Jerry

arnt you concerned about slamming your network with internal monitoring traffic?

You can regulate that by slowing down the polling interval. Personally I think the information gathered is worth the bandwidth.

i would like to see a monitoring tool for PPS as well…that would really help trouble shooting those damned icmp bursts.

jerry how many customers do you have on your canopy network?

136 to date - over half are business customers paying 99/mo and up - we only monitor Business connections 179.00/mo and up (we sell monotoring hard - it’s one of the biggest things that seperates us from the T1 providers.)

We do monitor all infrastructure nodes.

I agree. The “bandwidth” required to get statistics is well worth it. We currently have over 2,500 wireless subs, hundreds of DSL and Fiber customers, many dedicated p2p customers, servers, switches, routers, etc. and we monitor every single one of them.

We graph signals, traffic (bytes and pps), load, temperatures, distances, etc. on everything and it takes less than 512kbps total.

Travis
Microserv

15,000 square miles and growing

Man if we can get to 500 business customer I’d be really, really happy.

That’s quite a network you have there.

We started in 1997 with wireless and have recently (last 5 years) been using Trango (900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.3ghz and 5.8ghz). We are now going to evaluate Canopy in some of our noisy tower locations to see if it will survive.

I have a couple 5250AP’s and 5200SM’s on order and will hopefully be testing next week (just waiting for them to arrive).

wow 2500 customers…I hope you are high up in that company.

I have ~850+ customers, our average is ~$52/month/customer. I hope to break 1000 by the end of the year.

I didnt monitor each customer because i guess i was “warned” against it. is there a template on cacti that gives you pps?

We are not using Canopy or Cacti… we are currently using Trango for wireless and a product called JFFNMS for monitoring.