Cambium 1000 GPS vs. No GPS

Hi,

is there any important difference between GPS unit and no GPS unit AP 1000?

Or only GPS sync for more sectors? I want only 1 sector AP for my site...no need GPS sync. But...is only GPS defference? Or there is better RF specs in GPS unit?

Hi,

ePMP with GPS sync was designed to operate in AP mode.

ePMP with GPS sync designed to manage multiple traffic streams.

It provide higher performance and higher throughput than ePMP not synced units which designed to perform in Sm mode.

Thank you.

1 Like

Same radio in both units.  The non-gps units have a 100mbps ethernet port and don't support 802.3af POE.

2 Likes

For my 2c - I'd bite the bullet, and put up the GPS unit right off the bat.

The main difference in GPS vs non-GPS is for Mitigating Interference - for frequency reuse, and for mitigating self-interfernce, and for co-locating with other radios (yours or others) that are GPS equipped. 

However - the GPS units also have larger memory, they have GigaBit Ethernet Ports, they have dual-banks for Firmware Versions - so it could hold V3.2beta in the primary bank, with V3.1 in the backup bank if you wish... and if a beta didn't work out, you can easily fall back to a known-good version.

AND - for us, the GPS Version simply seems to work better in certian places. I actually think that's due to competative older PMP100 (Canopy AP's) that are a long way off but which add to the noise floor.  When we are SYNC'd  (even without really specifically co-ordinating with the competition) we seem to see a benefit from running in GPS Sync mode.  Who knows - maybe it's only 80% really synced, but in a few places, that feels like it's better than not being synced at all.

And, the final thing I'll say, is that there is also the LITE AP version.  So, if a $500 Access Point scares you, and if you're thinking of just using a $100 SM because of the cost...  there is also the $200ish AP-LITE version.  That's the same GPS Equipped AP, but licensed for only 10 SM connections. That way you can start out with minimally more $ vs just a SM - and yet be fully equipped hardware wise so that you don't have to climb if find you want to upgrade down the road.  If/when you do - it's simply a license fee you pay to upgrade the $200 LITE into a $500 FULL, and you're good to go.

So - for me, that's what I'd do starting out --- I'd at least get an AP-LITE and then you've got the proper hardware installed and then you can try the difference live, and then that saves a climb down the road. :)

2 Likes

@dkeltgen wrote:

Same radio in both units.  The non-gps units have a 100mbps ethernet port and don't support 802.3af POE.

actually, I belive the GPS models have faster CPUs and more RAM.     they have 2 flash memory banks as well and gig ethernet. 

for future flexibility, your much better off getting the GPS models.     if your building a newwork you know you will not be expanding, and limited end points, then it doesn't matter. 

the purpose of the GPS AP is deployment scalablity and the horse power to work at near max air time condutions with many end points reliably. 

I started out using some 1000 non-GPS radios to save money at some smaller AP sites.  I am migrating all of those to either 1000 GPS or 2000 GPS APs as I can afford it.  The memory and gigabit Ethernet are big needs for us and, honestly, the GPS units seem to perform better.

Do what the others suggested and get the LITE version if money is the issue and then upgrade as you fill them up. We are doing just that - it makes alot of sense.  Just check the upgrade fee with your vendors first. I thought I heard it was supposed to be exactly the difference in price (didn't Ray say that at the 2000 launch press event??) but some vendors are charging a premium to upgrade from LITE to FULL.