Cambium 3000L and ethernet speed problems

Hi all,
i've a lot of problems with Cambium 3000L ethernet installed on a tower. It works only 100 Mbit.
I try to explai all my tests.
Cambium epmp 3000L + Cambiun sector antenna 120° on a tower with 60mt ethernet cable

I've tried:
to replace cable with a dual shielded cable and shielded connectors
to put an external poe switch on the tower near the sector
to replace epmp3000L with another one
to put ferrite rings
to modify the voltage using an external power supply with a power injector
and i've the same problem.
When i connect an ubiquiti airprism radio with the same cable, it work perfectly, 1Gbit/s.
When i connect a F300-25 with the same cable, it works perfectly, 1Gbit/s.

When i remove the antenna pigtails, 3000L works with ethernet 1 Gbit.

Have you any ideas to solve the problem?
Thank you.

1 Like

@vrega wrote:

Hi.  Is this duplicatable, repeatable?  You've tried this, back and forth either way (with and without antennas) multiple times?

Hi,

yes it's systematic.

Also,i've tried to replace epmp3000L and sector antenna with other ones.

Thank you

So - out of curiosity - what happens if you disconnect the antennas, plug in the 3000L - it onnects at 1 gbit, right? And then (without powering it off) you connect the pigtails while it's on?  Does it stay at 1gbit, or does it drop in real time to 100mbit? 

When pigtails are connected and i power on antenna, it works 100 Mbit/s.

When i disconnect pigtails it remains 100 Mbit/s, i force renegotiation from switch and it workks 1Gbit/s.

When i connect pigtails, it renegotiates from 1Gbit/s to 100Mbit/s after some seconds/minutes.

The 3000L ethernet is really finicky, border line flakey IMHO, compared to the 1000, 2000 and I would say the 3000 but one of the two 3000's we have just started dropping to 100Mb the other day so... in its defense though that cat cable it's on could be about 10 years old.

If you put the radio in SM mode where it can't TX (unless told to do so by its access point, which it won't have in this case so it can't TX)  does it still do it ? 

If you connect the ethernet to a laptop instead of the switch at the site does it work ?  

If you connect one of these 3000Ls to a sector that isn't installed/attached to the tower (preferably back at your office or something were it's not powered by the site)  with approximately the same feet of Cat5/6 does it exhibit the problem ?  If not, and you do the same thing only now at the site, powered by the site, does it do it ?  Assuming it works in all the above, does it only do it when the sector is attached to the tower (thus part of the ground/electrical) Can't help but think it's a grounding/electrical issue at the site that the finicky 3000L can't deal with.

We installed a 900Mhz 450i on a customer's HAM tower several years back and while the climber was on the tower I knelt down at the base to attach the ground. I had one hand on the tower and the instant my knee touch the damp ground it almost knocked me backwards.  I forget how many volts the owner said the electrician said was on the tower (it was a surprisingly high number and I assumed the amps must have been low or it would have hurt a lot more than it did) but somewhere a nail holding the gutter to the house had gone through a wire or coax or something and the tower was touching the gutter.

Anywhoo, the climber was already on the tower with the radio and yagi (clamped onto the tower) so he went ahead and installed the radio but when we could not get an ethernet link we assumed the tower / ground / short had fried the ethernet on the radio.  I wasn't going to install another radio until the short was found/fixed so we left it there.  After the electrician came out and discovered/fixed the problem we went back planning to climb/replace the radio but when I plugged it all back in just to check it, the ethernet was working.  So I assume at least some power from the short was getting into the radio via the antenna which was attached directly to the tower and going through the radio to ground via the ethernet.

Then again we have a 3000L that appears to be spewing noise all over the 5Ghz spectrum (we believe it is knocking out a backhaul radio that was 300Mhz away and still interfering with it even after we moved it, the backhaul,  500Mhz away) maybe you have some spewing out noise out in the 300Mhz spectrum.

I've tried to set radio in SM mode, the problem is still present.

Connecting radio to a laptop i've the same problem, i remember you that i've tried to install an externa poe swith on the tower wit a 2 mt cable and the probem is still present.

I've tried to connect radio to the sector that is isolated from the tower and i've the same problem.

I've to try to connect radio and antenna sector in the same switch in the same tower site with the same cable at ground level, i'll try it in the next days.

I've tried to connect radio to sector antena at ground level and eth works 1 Gbit/s.

I've also tried to install Rfelements Horn antenna + twistport adapter on tower and to connect radio, the problem is the same.

This is odd.  We have a bunch of Force300csm and ePMP 3000L (very similar hardware it seems) and we have had zero ethernet issues that I'm aware of.  Certainly nothing duplicatable like this.

I mean, my Vulcan logic wants to say "if the problem happens when you connect the antenna, then it's an antenna problem"... but clearly you've tried to issolate/duplicate this all sorts of ways.

This isn't much help I know, but we have had no problems like this at all with 300CSM or 3000L

disable smart speed. not all switches like this feature and there is known implementation compatibility issues with various switches. example: my cisco 2960x will not connect at 1gbps with smart speed enabled, but a 2960S will. 

2 Likes

I tried to disable smart speed. same problem.

I've tried to connect radio to sector antenna at ground level and eth works 1 Gbit/s."

Ok, so you are at tower. If antenna is on the tower and connected to the sector then ethernet is 100mb  but at ground level, it is 1gb ? 

So, at ground level, what is different ?  For example, is the antenna mounted to the tower at ground level or just laying on truck/ground or something ?   Is the radio being powered by the site power or an inverter or something in your vehicle ?  Is the length of cable a lot different testing on the ground than it is testing on the tower ?  How are you connecting to the radio when it is ground level ?

2 Likes

I agree with Brubble, your test is not indicative of the fault. This sounds stupid but attach the radio and antenna under test to the tower at ground level. Make a cable that is the same type and length as the cable up the tower and even wrap it around the tower leg. Then plug in the cable to the tower systems, this way it will be as close to a true test as you can get short of going up the tower. 

Another note: do you have any surge suppression on the cable? If so which ones? These protection devices have caused me issues in the past and you would not believe that a brand name one could be a problem.

1 Like

@vrega wrote:

Hi all,
i've a lot of problems with Cambium 3000L ethernet installed on a tower. It works only 100 Mbit.
I try to explai all my tests.
Cambium epmp 3000L + Cambiun sector antenna 120° on a tower with 60mt ethernet cable

I've tried:
to replace cable with a dual shielded cable and shielded connectors
to put an external poe switch on the tower near the sector
to replace epmp3000L with another one
to put ferrite rings
to modify the voltage using an external power supply with a power injector
and i've the same problem.
When i connect an ubiquiti airprism radio with the same cable, it work perfectly, 1Gbit/s.
When i connect a F300-25 with the same cable, it works perfectly, 1Gbit/s.

Have you any ideas to solve the problem?
Thank you.

Hi, I have the same problem..... I have 3 towers, all with epmp 3000 not L but they are setup identical to each other and I have one epmp 3000 that continues to negotiate at 100mbps.. Ive tried everything that you have and same result.. I did a power cycle this morning of the radio and its at 1000 mbps... going to monitor and see how long that lasts.  I will be rma'ing mine if it continues.  sorry I dont have any answers but wanted to let you know that your not alone!  Good luck