Cambium & Ubiquiti - PtP comparison

The following are co-located Backhaul AP's.

I'm getting ready to upgrade these links from Force 110 PtP with GPS (C058900B052A) to the Ubiquiti AF-5X and I will continue to use the dishes supplied from the Cambium Force 110's.

For ones learning about these products this is an apples to oranges comparison.
I'm just posting this in hopes that it will help someone else's planning.

Current Configuration and Results -

Link #1

Downlink

35.976 Mbps

Uplink

117.58 Mbps

Link # 1
Downlink RSSI -62 dBm
Downlink SNR 32 dB
Uplink MCS MCS 14
Downlink MCS MCS 15
Distance from AP 1.77 miles
Operating Frequency DFS MHz
Operating Channel Bandwidth 40 MHz
Downlink RSSI -62 dBm
Downlink SNR 32 dB

Link#2

Downlink

58.536 Mbps

Uplink

23.55 Mbps

Downlink SNR 25 dB
Uplink MCS MCS 13
Downlink MCS MCS 11
Distance from AP 6.987 miles
Operating Frequency 5700 MHz
Operating Channel Bandwidth 40 MHz
Downlink RSSI -71 dBm
Downlink SNR 25 dB
Uplink MCS MCS 13
Downlink MCS MCS 11
Link Quality (Uplink) 99 %
Link Capacity (Uplink) 80 %

This is just the start of this thread.
I will be updating this once the UBNTs are deployed.

Hi.  We're also using a number of the AirFiber products on our backhauls.  We've had varying success, but generally pretty good and pretty pleased with the AifFiber products as a Point-to-Point backhaul product.

I should point out that we've had very little in the way of success with any AirMax MultiPoint products, for a variety of reasons.  Self interference, lack of scalability, 1 or 2 or 3 low signal clients dragging down the sector, a few too distant clients seem to drag down the sector, etc, etc, etc.  Don't get me wrong - in some cases, with the right conditions and the right clients and the right signals and distances and shielding, they can work pretty good.  But, I point this out just to make sure everyone knows that the PTP (AIrFiber) products are just a totally different animial than the PMP (AirMax) products.  :)

So, for us, we're happy to use Ubiquiti AirFiber products on the backhaul where the budget and the distance and the thoughput needs warrant it, and to use Cambium on our client-facing sectors.  This isn't to bash UBNT or to evangalize UBNT, but rather to make sure anyone reading this thread knows that AirFiber and AIrMax products are fundamentailly different.  Of course, AirFiber also range from about $1,100 to about $6,000 for a Point-to-Point link - so they aren't really a dollar-to-dollar comparison against the AirMax or the Cambium Force PtP products either. The bang for the buck on a $250 Force PtP link is awesome, but our $1,500 and $3,000 AirFiber links are obviously in a different class.

Hopefully, I'd love to see Cambium buy some of them and to build some 'eFiber' products. :)  There are some really nice features that the AirFibers have, and some clever ideas that they've come up with.  I imagine it get's tricky for Cambium though...  if they build a ePMP/ePtP/eFiber family product that competes with the big Cambium PTP prodcuts, they can end up competing with themselves too.

1 Like

So to do a fair comparison you should compare Airfiber to  PTP650. And ePMP to Airmax Device. Cambium has an unlicensed PTP product. Why develop another one ?

WISPA did their annual unlicensed 5GHz BH bakeoff at WISPAPALOOZA this year and Cambium walked away with 5 awards for their PTP650 and 450i products. Ubiquiti, for reasons still unknown, pulled their AFx products from the competition at the last minute.

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing who competed and what the numbers were Eric.  Your link doesn't include actual test results, just a press release. That old adage - those that can, do.  Those that can't, teach (or send out press releases).

I do love all the press on UBNT pulling out early.  Their Airfiber line continues to out-perform anything I've tested anywhere near the same price-point. I can't say the same for anything airmax, including the AC line, hence our deploying much ePMP lately. 

1 Like

2 NOW

How can you get 35 Mbps DL at MCS15 40 MHz channel   at 1.7 miles distance? Something is wrong.

Is it ePTP  mode?  How did you measure throughput ?

I think the % is 25/75

In case of TDD ul/dl 25/75 download has 75% of total aggregate UL+DL throughput. 35 Mbps can not be  75% of aggregate throughput at MCS15 in 40 Мгц.  NOW should use in point to point link ePTP mode ( not TDD).

But problem in  this  link is not connected with TDD or ePTP mode.  NOW is  mistaken  in throughput measuring or in somewhere else.