Can the MAC address be changed?

Is it possible to change the MAC address of a canopy unit? I have these old canopy units.

Thanks

Yes, you can. It’s done on the same page where the RF calibration parameters are entered:

http://169.254.1.1/mac.html

Substitute the unit’s assigned IP address for the factory default shown above.

May I ask what your purpose is for changing the MAC address?

I want to use the NAT feature to share my broadband connection and my ISP requires that I use a particular MAC address.

I tried the /mac.html and it resets back to the default. Have you ever tried it and it worked? The calibrations feature work but the MAC address doesn’t.

Thank you for your input.

No, I’ve never tried it before on the Canopy units. I did this morning and you are correct: it doesn’t work. I tried it again with a Default Plug inserted, but it still didn’t work. Canopy Tech Support confirmed it’s not a supported feature.

You’ll have to invest another $40 and buy a SOHO router – like a D-Link DI-604 or LinkSys BESFR41 – to do the job.

Sorry for the bad info.

beatricia wrote:
I want to use the NAT feature to share my broadband connection and my ISP requires that I use a particular MAC address.

I tried the /mac.html and it resets back to the default. Have you ever tried it and it worked? The calibrations feature work but the MAC address doesn't.

Thank you for your input.

That's an odd requirement ;). It would appear the setting on the SM won't do it. So as has been said you will probably have to invest in a Cable/DSL router. You will gain some firewalling and also have the ability to change the MAC address of the WAN connection to match that of your PC's NIC thus making it apeear to be still your single PC whilst in fact you are sharing the connection :D

Panzer

You can NOT change the MAC of the Canopy maodules. They are hard coded into the chipset at the factory. Some consumer routers have the ability to close the MAC from a particular PC in the network but Canopy can not.

Aaron

Along with the MAC.html page…what other HTML pages are there on a BH unit? How would one go aobut finding them?