Cannot upgrade discovered devices

I get “Device failed to upgrade to Version 1.2.3” when I try to upgrade our radios.
I’ve tried upgrading from 1.1.6 to 1.1.7 and from 1.1.7 to 1.2.3, with the same results.
All the log files are empty, and there’s no indication anywhere as to what is wrong.

CNS server is running on a Windows 7 PC. Discovery works fine.

Please try the following three things:

1. Select the devices in the Upgrade -> Inventory view and right-click -> Refresh Software Version. Verify if the version you selected is installed or not and if your upgrades passed or failed. At some point there was an issue where an upgrade result was misreported as failed even though the upgrade was successful.

2. Verify that the package you have selected for devices match the Hardware version listed in the Hardware column. “GPS Synchronized” radios must use the “ePMP-GPS_Synced” package. “Integrated” radios must use the “ePMP-NonGPS_Synced-v1.2.3” or “ePMP-Integrated-v1.1.7” package. Using the wrong package will fail the upgrade.

3. If you are still having problems, try to upgrade a single device directly using it’s web UI. It should fail in the same way and provide an error message. Please respond with the error message here.

Refreshing the software version works just fine, just shows the old version.

I was upgrading integrated radios with NonGPS firmware.

Upgrading through the radio UI works fine. No error messages.

Question: During the upgrade process, does the radio request the firmware from the CNS server, or does the CNS server upload the firmware image to the radio? My CNS server is behind NAT, and not on the same LAN segment as the radios.

Thanks!

The radio requests firmware from the CNS Server.

What happens is CNS send the device a URL to the package on the CNS webserver. The device then tries to download from that URL. It sounds like your network configuration may be preventing upgrade.

You can verify this from the radio UI by using the “From URL” upgrade option. The URL to the package will be

http://<cns_ip_address>:<cns_port>/services/upgrader/backend/packages/<package_name></package_name></cns_port></cns_ip_address>

Ok, I think that’s the problem. I will need to move CNS to a network location that the radios can reach directly.

Thanks for your help.

Can this url be manipulated from console i.e. made to refer to an ip rather than host name that way one does not to have the server dns resolvable (1 less DNS to take care of) ?

regards

Stefan