Canopy AP - No sync

Hi,

I have 3 Canopy AP’s from 3 different locations that are connected to CMM’s.

1 bye 1 thay started to loos sync on each AP.

This installations are 100 km from each other and don’t see why this could hof happend.

The only thing i know for shure is that thay do not recive sync on the Power port and thay are all

Board Type :P9
FPGA Version : 061708

The othere AP’s on the locations are P10 Board’s… And thay have Sync.

Is there something wrong with this production series?
Anybody had the same problem?

I’ve had APs lose the ability to sync through the timing port after electrical storms. I guess in the P9 series (and in general) the power over sync hardware is pretty sensitive.

First thing to check is cabling and make sure that it isn’t damaged or corroded. If all checks out, you can alternately try a sync converter (http://www.packetflux.com/index.php?mai … 7f45017f09) - it will basically take the timing pulse from a sync pulse over the power port and convert it for the timing port. This device will sit in-line between your CMM and AP and you will just need to tell the AP to receive sync through the timing port.

What firmware are these suspect ap’s running?
Have you tried plugging them into diff. ports on the cmm’s?

If it turns out you have a hardware failure on these units, PDMNet does repair that circuitry (either the Sync Over Power port or the standard 6 pin timing port).

We have a very high success rate on either of these repairs. I can possibly do a package deal on multiple APs.

PM me please with your contact info if you are interested.

Paul McCall
PDMNet Canopy Repair
658 Old Dixie Highway
Vero Beach, FL 32962
772-564-6800

VLAN1 wrote:
What firmware are these suspect ap's running?
Have you tried plugging them into diff. ports on the cmm's?

We have firmware 9.0 and 9.3 on the AP's.

Have tryed it on different CMM's and ports on the CMM.

Sorry - do the CMMs still have good synch? Is it possible that something is blocking GPS like military excercises?

salad wrote:
Sorry - do the CMMs still have good synch? Is it possible that something is blocking GPS like military excercises?

THe first CMM:

Satellites Visible
Satellites Tracked
Tracking Mode
3D Fix

SYNC Pulse Status
SYNC OK

The Second CMM:

Satellites Visible
Satellites Tracked
Latitude
N69 18.8550
Longitude
E16 07.1140
Height
93 meters
Tracking Mode
3D Fix
SYNC Pulse Status
SYNC OK

No there are no Militart excercises that i know of. Butt all the AP's that have P10 Bord Type work at the locations, so this could not be the case...

It would seem the most direct route of testing would be to put some New APs up there and see if they work. If so, then just have the others repaired and use for spares.

Paul, PDMNet

paulchops wrote:
It would seem the most direct route of testing would be to put some New APs up there and see if they work. If so, then just have the others repaired and use for spares.

Paul, PDMNet

New AP's are already up.
The orginal questien is if this is a fault in this series of Canopy. (Look up on the page).

Board Type :P9
FPGA Version : 061708

Have not had this problem on other series of the Canopy Board or FPGA version....

I see…

No, I we run 75% P9’s and 25% P10s and have seen no issues with Sync working or not, specific to either hardware revision. If that helps.

Do you have a another CMM on the bench to test these with at your office?

Long and short of it is… if the GPS functions arent working on them, they are “broke”, as there is nothing in software “special” to configure for a certain hardware or software version to work right.

Paul

I’d just like to say that we have a couple of P9 2.4Ghz cyclone AP’s that do not hold sync anymore either. We have replaced the CMM’s and it has not fixed the problem. We just ordered in some new cabling to try out. If that doesn’t work then I guess we are going to have to bite the bullet and buy new AP’s (Yikes!!). Good thing we have a couple new towers going up in the near future. At least we can try and get these AP’s repaired so it’s not a complete loss.

Yeah, its kinda the same deal that has always been with APs and spares. They ARE so expensive that us “smaller” WISPs find it challenging to have an abundance of extra spares on the shelf. With the Sync Over Power function, the damage from even small power surges can knock it out too.

We are in Florida, the lightning capital of the US, and we got popped last night and lost at least one AP.

I am just glad that they are, for the most part, repairable.

Paul McCall
PDMNet Canopy Repair
658 Old Dixie Highway
Vero Beach, FL 32962
772-564-6800

It’s a problem with the P9 boards. Has something to do with the materials used to make them RoHS compliant or so I’ve been told. Sounds like a recall should have been made. (Ha Ha) We usually use the power port for timing but I have saved P9 units which quit syncing on the power port until I have enough for an entire tower. Then, when I loose a tower to lightning, I use those units along with a parasitic gps unit from Packetflux connected to the timing port to get the tower back online.

rosborne wrote:
It's a problem with the P9 boards. Has something to do with the materials used to make them RoHS compliant or so I've been told. Sounds like a recall should have been made. (Ha Ha) We usually use the power port for timing but I have saved P9 units which quit syncing on the power port until I have enough for an entire tower. Then, when I loose a tower to lightning, I use those units along with a parasitic gps unit from Packetflux connected to the timing port to get the tower back online.

Actually, I could be mistaken as well... but, I thought the P10s were the ones made to be RoHS compliant...

We see only slightly more Power Over Sync problems with P9s from a repair standpoint, over P10s. But, then again, we get far more P9s to repair than P10s, for what its worth.

That's interesting though that you have noticed the P9s failing more in this area.

Paul, PDMNet

FWIW the only units I’ve had sync over power problems with have been P9 as well. My P10 units are fully functional.

If your radio is not receiving sync there is nothing you can do you need to get the radio repaired.