Canopy Lens

Ordered one from Tessco last week for a subscriber that was about a mile out off a 5.7GHz PoP. Product snaps down over the radio. It appears that the reflector is made of some kind of ceramic material. Either way…

Before: -81/4 on AP, -80/4 on SM

After: -67/2 on AP, -69/2 on SM.

Results speak for themselves. I give this product two thumbs up.

You have a product number?

amd phreak wrote:
Ordered one from Tessco last week for a subscriber that was about a mile out off a 5.7GHz PoP.

Have you tried a stinger yet? We use them for the same purpose...

Sometimes lots of gain, sometimes not so much... really depends on the exact situation and how much multipath you are fighting.

And it's a lot lighter than the Lens...

-forrest

We ordered a bunch of the 900 Stingers a while back. They didn’t seem to perform very well for us. Plus we run a into a bunch that were the wrong polarity, so we had to test everyone of them before they got deployed.

forrestc wrote:
Have you tried a stinger yet? We use them for the same purpose...

Sometimes lots of gain, sometimes not so much... really depends on the exact situation and how much multipath you are fighting.

And it's a lot lighter than the Lens...

You're right, stingers are lighter than lens and cost less.
In my experience I tried in some locations and I didn't notice a real difference in performance comparing Canopy Lens and Stinger.

Ciao
Massimo

No, have not tried the stinger.

There was a decent amount of fresnel impingement… I could see the top 1/3 of the tower over the rooftops of the adjacent houses.

Here are the specs on the stinger:Pulled from wirelessbeehive.com site:

Gain 10-12 dB nominal increase over bare SM
17-19 dBi total antenna system gain
Beamwidth 12 degrees (3dB)
F/B Ratio >30dB
Cross Pol Reject >30dB
Wind Load 26 lbs additional over bare SM @ 100MPH
Weight 10 oz (nom)

and the specs on the lens: Pulled from tessco web site

Point to Multipoint Accessories [592-35]
Motorola Canopy LENS Antenna
The Motorola Canopy LENS Antenna is a simple, cost effective way to increase antenna gain and reach more subscribers in your Canopy Network. This new Motorola product mounts directly to your existing integrated Canopy AP or SM without any additional hardware requirements.
Key Features and Capabilities * Increases total radio gain to 16dB in 5.2 & 5.4GHz Bands
* Increases total radio gain to 17dB in 5.7GHz Bands
* Frequency Range: 5.15 to 5.85GHz
* Works with 5.2, 5.4 & 5.7GHz Radios
* Increases range and narrows beam width from 60 degrees to 18 degrees
* RoHS Compliant
* Weight 1.75 lbs
* Dimensions: 7" H x 7" W
* Meets ETSI “TS” Antenna Specifications

We use the stingers (900MHz Horizontal) a lot. We love them for the simple deployment, and they work quite well for us. If we need more power we also stock the 14 and 17 dBi yagis from M2.

Do the stingers work with 5.4 ?

vanilla wrote:
Do the stingers work with 5.4 ?

I would assume they do.

The only reason I used the Lens was I could order it from Tessco with our VAR pricing.

No, stingers are specific for frecuencys. I bouht one for 5.7 and didnt work for 5.2
Lenns work for the complete 5150-5850 spectrum

There are a lot of circumstances I have found where a 900 stinger does not quite perform as well as I expect it to. For these I tend to use an Integrated unit or a 11 or 14 dbi yagi. The 11 is nice and small but has more focus than the stinger.

I have 5.7 and 2.4 stingers deployed on BH links. They work very well IMO. I have not put a stinger in a tree…yet. Possibly in a month there will be a 5.7 one.

We use stingers all the time for 5.7 and 900. For 900 it is only for under 5 miles. For 5.7 enhanced we can get 10 miles at -80 or better.