Canopy Radio as a Sync Source for CMM and how to protect gps

Can I use canopy radio such SM as a sync source for cmm micro?
We have several cases many gps not function properly, they are broken because of lightning. Up till now
on this year we have 3 broken gps, fortunately the gps module on the cmm itself not broken. But there are
cases where lightning hit the gps and cmm micro as well, make the cmm not working again, must be
replaced with the new one.
I read on this site:
http://manuals.packetflux.com/index.php … ync-source
Canopy radio can used as a sync source for a syncInjector. If that happens to cmm micro, so there is no need to buy new gps :slight_smile:
Not worrying it will be probably hit by the lighting some time.

Second question is how to protect the gps from lightning ?

Thanks in advance.

Arief Yudhawarman

If you run a sync cable from an SM or a PacketFlux Syncinjector Parasitic to the timing port on the CMM the pinout needs to be as follows

SM, SyncInjector, Backhaul Side: pins 1,6
to
CMM Side: pins 2,5 respectively
then set CMM to Slave on GPS so it will use the timing port on cmm to propagate the signal.

nucoles wrote:
If you run a sync cable from an SM or a PacketFlux Syncinjector Parasitic to the timing port on the CMM the pinout needs to be as follows

SM, SyncInjector, Backhaul Side: pins 1,6
to
CMM Side: pins 2,5 respectively
then set CMM to Slave on GPS so it will use the timing port on cmm to propagate the signal.

In my case the BHS get sync signal from remote BHM. Could the sync from BHS send to CMM too ?

Thanks in Advance.

yes backhaul, sm, or syncinjector

nucoles wrote:
yes backhaul, sm, or syncinjector

Great. It is working !
BTW, how the maximum length of cable can be used as sync cable from BHS to CMM ?

the shorter the better. ive never tried one over 150 feet.

10m is the recommended if i remeber correctly your better off to use a sync injector, the timing from the BH will be a bit delayed, we had a problem with a remote tower timed this way once we put a sync pipe out thier it was fine and GROUND GROUND GROUND GROUND the crap out of your gear then lightning won’t bother it so much

year 1 we lost 18 APs and 2 BH and 2 CMMs after going ground crazy (adding 10 plus ground rods per site) on all of our sites, (over 150 APs out thier now) we haven’t had any lightning problems in 4 years not to say it can’t happen but it sure seems to help a LOT

We are trying to setup the following:

2450SM feeding bandwidth to rebroadcast location.

9000AP rebroadcasting from that location.

We tried making just a straight thru timing cable and both radios were acting like a default plug was inserted.

What pin configuration do we need to use on the SM and the AP to pull timing coming in from the SM and have the AP sync off of the SM?

Thanks,

Custcomp

What pin configuration do you need to use to bring timing from an inbound SM and feed timing to an outbound AP?

Thanks,

Custcomp

Connect Pins 1 and 6 of the RJ-11 timing ports of the SM and AP.

pins 1 and 6 on straight thru. do NOT use any other pins as it will think default plug is in

Thanks, that worked great. I have another question regarding timing…

We would like to pull timing off of a CMM power port, but we do not want the data portion of the ethernet cable to hookup to the CMM switch. What pins do we need to setup on the RJ 45 to plug in to the CMM to grab sync for the power port and what pins do we need to punch down on the other RJ 45 that will connect to a separate managed switch for the data side of the cable?

We are doing this because we are feeding two separate backhauls to the tower and one will feed each of the two APs so we can provide more aggregate bandwidth to the tower, which has well over 100 subscibers now on it.

Thanks.

Custcomp

The power pins 4,5 and 7,8 also provide the timing over power port. So as long as these are plugged into CMM you should get sync. We have a similar setup where the power and timing is pulled from CMM but data goes into a router. Never had any issues with this setup.

We just had the GPS portion of one of our CMM crap out this morning with the following error:

Antenna Connection: BAD - Over Current

So, we have a second CMM at that location and I need to know what pinouts we need for a cable to run between the working CMM and the non-working CMM so I can set the non-working CMM as a GPS timing slave through the RJ-11 port.

Does anyone know what pins need to connect between the two CMM units?

Thanks,

Custcomp

First check the cable between your GPS Antenna and CMM… I have seen the “Antenna Connection: BAD - Over Current” message many times and always it has been a cable issue.

For the Master / Slave CMM configuration to work, I believe you need to have Software Release 3.0 installed on each.

Here is the RJ 11 6-Pin Pinout:

1 <-> 2
2 <-> 1
3 <-> 3
4 <-> 4
5 <-> 6
6 <-> 5