Canopy Recommendations for a new ISP

Okay, here’s a shot in the dark to get everyone’s opinion on which model of the Canopy line would be our best choice for our new ISP network. I may miss out on some important information here so bear with me…

Our target customer base will be about 50-200 subscribers. Line-of-sight is not an issue. We want to provide tiered-level of bandwidth ranging from 256-1.5 Mbs. Our base location will be a roof-top with only one AP with growth up to three AP’s. Our subscribers are about 4-8 miles away. Here are my questions: 1) What model (900Mhz, 2.4, 5.2, 5.7, 5.8) of the Canopy line should I use? 2) What subscriber models should we use? 3) Should we use the Advantage line? 4) Will a T-1 line suffice to server 50-200 subscribers?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I thank you for your time and input.

I would reccommend you use 5.7ghz if line of sight is not an issue. Also use 5.7ghz for all those links over 4 miles. You will need to put a dish on all customers. Advantage Platform is probably worth the initial investment. Advantage will also allow you to offer much bigger packages for all those super bandwidth hunger customers out there. One T1 line should be fine for 50 or less customers, but if you are going into the 150+ customer range at 1.5meg each you will want to look into either an ATM circuit over bound T1’s or just get a DS3 fiber link. If you plan to reach 300+ customers we found that they can eat up as much as 10+ megs at a time and going to a DS3 sure has made scaling a lot easier.

Matt