Can't access canopy radios via 169.254.1.1 any more.

I'm not sure which firmware update broke this function but since the beginning of the Canopy line we have been able to access them via 169.254.1.1 regardless of how the radio was configured.   Until about six months go we was running v11.something  on all the canopy radios  but started upgrading and are now using 13.4.1 on everything.  

A while back I noticed that after getting a radio configured I could no longer access it via the 169.254.1.1 . We configure the radios for NAT / DHCP with an IP of 192.168.100.254  (DHCP lease of 50 starting at .50)   and we configure a separate management interface/IP (normally 10.10.#.#) .  Once configured, even though the PC I am using is still set with 169.254.1.2 on it I can no longer access the radio at 169.254.1.1.  To access it I either have to configure my PC with a 10.10. address and access the radio via the management interface IP or set my PC to access DHCP and then access the radio at the 192.168.100.254  address.   

I didn't mess with it much for a  few months thinking it was some windows weirdness or chrome. However the installers mentioned they could no longer access the radios via 169.254.1.1  and when I tried different PC's here at the office and different browsers I figured out that once the radios are given a LAN IP address they can no longer be accessed via the 169 address.

Was this intentional ?   We only just started using 450i stuff and I'm not sure if this is a problem with it also (using the newest firmware) but I know the ePMP gear we use does not have this problem, you can access it via 169.254.1.1 regardless of how it is configured just like the Canopy gear use to be.

On ePMP, yes, the ethernet port always has 169.254.1.1 as a secondary address. But I'm not aware of Canopy ever working like that. The default IP has always been 169.254.1.1, but after you configure, it's gone. The only time that you'd be able to access a Canopy radio at 169.254.1.1 while non-default config exists is by using the default plug.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea for future Canopy releases to operate like ePMP with 169.254.1.1 always accessible via ethernet. Open a feature request if you want it.

You can't access 450i using IP 169.254.1.1 /16 if you assign a different LAN IP to it. Here are some ways of accessing the device if you are locked out:

• If you know the IP and subnet you can change your LAN adapter settings on you computer to access directly using the known IP address
  • If you don't know the IP and subnet, you can use a reset plug and access it via 169.254.1.1 /16

Enable the Default alternative LAN1 IP address under Configuration/IP. It is at the bottom of the page. This will allow you to use the 169.254.1.1 address when the SM is set to DHCP.
Here is the JSON template I created if you want to push this configuration to all your SM’s.
{
“userParameters”: {
“networkConfig”: {
“defaultIPAccessEnable”: 1
}
}
}