Can't Enable Co-Location Mode

Hello,

First time Cambium user.  So I upgraded the ePMP 1000's firmware as well as it's GPS firmware.  It won't however allow me to enable Co-Location Mode.  What am I doing wrong?  I have attached a couple of screen shots.  Sorry they are dark.  I was getting the connection lost at the top of the screen when I took them.

The GPS module is working and connected to 8 our of 10 satillites.  Not sure what I have wrong.

So I figured it out.  If I have my frame length set to 5ms, I can't enable or disable Co-Location Mode.  But if I choose 2.5ms it allows me to enable or disable it.  So I enabled it and choose 5ms and it looks like it stayed enabled, but now if I wan't to disable I need to choose 2.5ms again.

Is that a bug?  Or isn't Co-Location Mode supposed to enabled if running a 5ms frame size?

I think that ''co-location'' is specifically referring to co-locating an ePMP with an older PMP100 Access Point. So, since Cambium / Motorola PMP100's had a 2.5ms frame, that's why that specific setting is enabled when you have 2.5ms fame turned on.

2 Likes

@ninedd wrote:

I think that ''co-location'' is specifically referring to co-locating an ePMP with an older PMP100 Access Point. So, since Cambium / Motorola PMP100's had a 2.5ms frame, that's why that specific setting is enabled when you have 2.5ms fame turned on.

So, right now it's enabled, but greyed out because I set the frame lenght back to 5ms.  Since it's greyed out does that mean it's not technically enabled then?

So as long as I am co-locating multiple ePMP's I don't need that setting enabled then?  Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, thats my understanding.  If it's just ePMP with other ePMP, then the '"Frequency Reuse'' is all you need to worry about - and either side can be Front or Back, your choice as long as they are different.  And if you have ePMP with Motrolla Canopy PMP100 gear, then you'd want to use the 2.5ms frame and the ''Co Location'' setting.

OR, if a nearby competitor has PMP100 gear that's messing with your ePMP, that's another time that the co-location setting might come in handy too.

1 Like

@ninedd wrote:

Yes, thats my understanding.  If it's just ePMP with other ePMP, then the '"Frequency Reuse'' is all you need to worry about - and either side can be Front or Back, your choice as long as they are different.  And if you have ePMP with Motrolla Canopy PMP100 gear, then you'd want to use the 2.5ms frame and the ''Co Location'' setting.

OR, if a nearby competitor has PMP100 gear that's messing with your ePMP, that's another time that the co-location setting might come in handy too.

OK, very good to know.  So, right now I have the AP's that are re-using RF both set to "back".  So should I have the North AP set to back and the south AP set to front?  Technically the re-use channel is behind both of the radios isn't it?  Confused about that setting?

I thought Back meant re-use on the same tower and Front meant on an adjacent tower located elsewhere?  Is that not the case?

Hi Wifi_guy, 

First of all, welcome to the community. The community members here are incredibly helpful. You'll love it here. 

The Front and Back settings are used for reusing frequency on sectors that are back to back as well as APs on nearby towers. The North and South sector (or any pair of sectors that are 180 degrees apart from each other) have to be set to "Front" and "Back" (or vice versa) respectively. Then these settings have to used for frequency reusing with APs on nearby towers. For more detailed information, please take a look at the user guide and search for this very same parameter - "Frequency Reuse".

Thanks,

Sriram 

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

Hi Wifi_guy, 

First of all, welcome to the community. The community members here are incredibly helpful. You'll love it here. 

The Front and Back settings are used for reusing frequency on sectors that are back to back as well as APs on nearby towers. The North and South sector (or any pair of sectors that are 180 degrees apart from each other) have to be set to "Front" and "Back" (or vice versa) respetively. Then these settings have to used to frequency reusing with APs on nearby towers. For more detailed information, please take a look at the user guide and search for this very same parameter - "Frequency Reuse".

Thanks,

Sriram 

Thanks for the response.  I really appreciate it!  So in a 4 sector array, North, South, East and West.  The North sector needs to be Front, the south needs to be Back. Or vise versa.  The West needs to be Front the East needs to be Back.  Is that correct?

@wifi_guy wrote:

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

Hi Wifi_guy, 

The Front and Back settings are used for reusing frequency on sectors that are back to back as well as APs on nearby towers. The North and South sector (or any pair of sectors that are 180 degrees apart from each other) have to be set to "Front" and "Back" (or vice versa) respetively. Then these settings have to used to frequency reusing with APs on nearby towers. For more detailed information, please take a look at the user guide and search for this very same parameter - "Frequency Reuse".

Thanks,

Sriram 

Thanks for the response.  I really appreciate it!  So in a 4 sector array, North, South, East and West.  The North sector needs to be Front, the south needs to be Back. Or vise versa.  The West needs to be Front the East needs to be Back.  Is that correct?

So how do you know which should be set to back and which set to forward?

@wifi_guy wrote:

So how do you know which should be set to back and which set to forward?

You can set any sector to front or as back as long as the sector 180 degrees apart from it is set differently. For example, you can set the North as Front and the South as Back OR you can get set the North as Back and South as Front. The settings on North and South have no impact on the East and West sectors. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks,

Sriram

I'm trying to find information on the same type of problem.  I just upgraded the a couple of ePMP2000's to version 3.5.2 (which is supposed to support co-locating PMP450 and ePMP).  One of the two upgraded ap's does not give me the oportunity to select "co-location" - it is "greyed out".  But the other ap let me select "co-location".  The frame size on both of them are set to 5ms, so there are no differences in configuration (as far as I can see).  Any tips on why I am able to select it on one but not the other?

Sorry - found the solution...  It was just the browser cache which needed to be emptied... Doh